Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My SHTF carbine is finally complete

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    The military using a particular peice of kit is never a valid reason to follow suit. The contrary is more likely to be the better option.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    The military using a particular peice of kit is never a valid reason to follow suit. The contrary is more likely to be the better option.
    Still, the SOCOM profile M4A1 barrel is pretty thick under the handguard.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    That is true to a point. Is there a problem with AAC suppressors that I wasn't aware of? SureFire suppressors and weapon lights? Glocks, H&Ks, and German SiGs? FN, Colt, and H&K carbines? Aimpoints? ACOGs? NightForce and Schmidt & Bender optics? Daniel Defense and KAC rail systems? All of these are widely used by military and law enforcement end users across the globe. Are they not the standards by which all other devices in their respective categories are judged?

That is not to say that we cannot do better than what the military uses, by any means. Merely saying that because 'the military' uses something, it ought to be avoided is rather silly. Especially when the reasoning behind the choice is sound, as it is (IMHO) with a 'pencil' or lightweight barrel.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 09-07-12 at 23:49. Reason: Reduced redundancy.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Manta rails seem to be pretty good at handling heat. I just ordered a set of their new vlp very low profile ladders. Will update when I test...

Feedback Score
    I hope you will not mind some input. That scope is waaaaay to far back. It has nearly 3 inches of eye relief, and it is sticking back behind the charging handle by a half inch or so. Normally your nose should be within touching distance of the charging handle, with the scope about 2 3/4 in front of that. Although I am only 5'10 I would have to crane my head way back to use that scope. FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by zimm17 View Post

]

Feedback Score
    That seems to be an overbroad statement as it seems to mean that we need to select completely different equipment than the military. Lots of the .mil stuff is very good or great.

So, since .mil uses Aimpoints and Eotechs and ACOGs, we need to find a different optic.

Since .mil uses Colts, we should stay away from that brand.

etc.

See the problem?

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabazz View Post
    That seems to be an overbroad statement as it seems to mean that we need to select completely different equipment than the military. Lots of the .mil stuff is very good or great.

So, since .mil uses Aimpoints and Eotechs and ACOGs, we need to find a different optic.

Since .mil uses Colts, we should stay away from that brand.

etc.

See the problem?
    I see no problem. The majority of military issued kit is crap. Lowest effing bidder. Eye pro, gloves, various pieces of cold weather gear (except the fart sack), bla bla bla. I could name a hundred examples if I went down a TA50 list from my last deployment. EOtechs are crap compared to aimpoints. Standard charging handles are crap compared to the gunfighter. The issued BUIS? Crap. The elevation knob gets caught on crap and is never left where you want it.

Military issued kit does not mean it is good.

It means someone won a contract because someone is in bed with someone else who owns a company or someone just got lucky because they cut enough corners to be able to make the lowest bid.
    a former meatpuppet.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabazz View Post
    I hope you will not mind some input. That scope is waaaaay to far back. It has nearly 3 inches of eye relief, and it is sticking back behind the charging handle by a half inch or so. Normally your nose should be within touching distance of the charging handle, with the scope about 2 3/4 in front of that. Although I am only 5'10 I would have to crane my head way back to use that scope. FYI.
    Glad to see someone approached this. I thought the same thing. Granted I don't run a scope but still....
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Three mags is nothing.
    BS. It's 90 rounds. In what possible defensive scenario would you be firing 90 rounds of sustained fire and be worried about your hand getting hot?
    HIPPIES SMELL

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedreaux View Post
    BS. It's 90 rounds. In what possible defensive scenario would you be firing 90 rounds of sustained fire and be worried about your hand getting hot?
    Use your imagination.

90 is nothing.
    a former meatpuppet.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast