Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2moa vs 1moa red dot

Feedback Score

2moa vs 1moa red dot

I search for this and couldn't find anything really.

I've been using Eotechs for some time with the 1moa dot. Thinking about trying aimpoint but notice those are 2moa will this throw me off at all?

Preference?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I pick up a 2 moa dot much faster for close in shooting, but give up precision at longer distances. I have still shot foxes at 200 yds with a 2 moa dot, so it doesn't hurt much.

It all boils down to what your primary use. If its close in combat/defense I would far prefer the larger dot.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I can't find a source, but eotechs have a center dot smaller than 1 moa, but it seems like 1.5 moa because of the bloom. If you magnify an eotech, the dot will still be small (maybe less than 1 moa) while an aimpoint that's 2 moa at 1x remains 2 moa at 3x.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    you should be fine, like anything else may take some getting used to but dot size (200m and in) should not be much of an issue.
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    Can anyone else back up the eotech claim? This is the first of me hearing it. I would think if I used a magnifier a 2 moa would be 6 moa. I've never used one but just thinking.. Which is prolly wrong

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This is red00shulous. A 2 MOA read dot is a little less than half the width of an M4 front sight when sitting on the gun.

Theoretically you have a more precise aiming point than the IRONs. And the Irons are pretty damned good to begin with.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I pick up a 2 moa dot much faster for close in shooting, but give up precision at longer distances. I have still shot foxes at 200 yds with a 2 moa dot, so it doesn't hurt much.

It all boils down to what your primary use. If its close in combat/defense I would far prefer the larger dot.
    I prefer a larger "dot" as well at close range. So I use a 65moa circle rather than a 2moa dot. Its just plain faster for ME. If Im 20-50 yards out, I ignore the 65moa circle and use the 1moa dot. 50-100 yards, depending on how precise my shot needs to be, I may flip up my 3X magnifier. I rarely shoot past 100 yards without 3X magnification. A rds + magnifier on flip mount seems to be a great general purpose setup. I can quickly engage targets up close and make accurate shots at distance.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys, I have zero knowledge on the subject other than having my 512. Looking to take some carbine courses and they are saying we will shoot up to 300 yards. I don't have the knowledge or the experience like some of you do. Just didn't know how the going from a 1moa with a 65moa circle would be different than using a 2moa dot only. I like the eotechs but seems like aimpoints are better quality.

Feedback Score
    To my eyes, the Eotech has a cleaner looking dot. But the Aimpoint system does not eat batteries and is generally considered to be the more reliable system.

At 300, you are going to be holding at the top edge of a 10-12" steel target - or using holdover if you zero at 100. The substention of the Dot won't be the issue.

Feedback Score
    So either or I'll be fine then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast