Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2moa vs 1moa red dot

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FeltaDorce View Post
    The 65 MOA ring or zombie reticle or whatever in those EOTECHs is a joke. Too busy of sight picture, with no benefits (bullet drop, etc.).
    The best use of the 65 MOA ring I've seen is as a range estimation tool. 65 MOA = ~5'5" at 100 yds (or meters? i'm so confused)... which is about the average height of a man, give or take a few inches here or there.

So a person about the size, head to foot, of the ring is about 100 yds away, half the size (from the dot to the edge of the ring) is 200 yds away, etc. If you know the height of certain vehicles, you can use it to range vehicles too, as well as buildings (average story is ~12', which is 2 of the eotech rings stacked at 100m, give or take. So if a story is the size of your ring, then it's about 200m away, etc.)

It's also a little helpful in leading moving targets. And it makes target acquisition pretty quick in close ranges, but I've never seen a difference between it and an aimpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    What do you use/how do you go from 1x 4x quickly? Use a magnifier?
    Guessing he uses a 1-4x short dot type optic.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 09-10-12 at 13:26.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    What do you use/how do you go from 1x 4x quickly? Use a magnifier?
    I prefer a low powered variable for the optimal balance for full spectrum use, with a hefty edge in target identification over 1x optics, and a distinct edge over fixed 3-4x optics for close range work.

For 0 to 200, the 1x optics work fine, and the addition of a magnifier makes target ID/discrimination easier. I don't really find that they extend the range of the optic so much as they increase observation capability, but at the loss of field of view. For clarity, I did own a magnifier in a flip to side mount, but found that a good 1-4x was better for my use.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The 65 MOA ring or zombie reticle or whatever in those EOTECHs is a joke. Too busy of sight picture, with no benefits (bullet drop, etc.).

You do realize that only ONE out of over 20 Eotech models use that bs zombie themed reticle right? And there are models out there with .223 ballistic reticles that work rather well in my experience... shot one today actually.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    I didn't intend to change anyone's mind about EOTECHs, but IMHO the sight picture offered by most of their lineup is not useful to me (or anyone else I know). If anyone is actually ranging anything with a 65MOA ring, I would be very surprised. EOTECHs are probably one of the last things I would put on my rifle, at any price. Again, IMHO. Aimpoint and even Vortex have better offerings at better (and much better) pricing.
    "We must surrender our attachments to government in every aspect of life. This goes for the right and the left. We need to give up our dependencies on the state, materially and spiritually. We should not look to the state to provide for us financially or psychologically.... Let us understand that it is far better to live in an imperfect world than it is to live in a despotic world ruled by people who lord over us through force and intimidation. - Dr. Ron Paul

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I didn't intend to change anyone's mind about EOTECHs, but IMHO the sight picture offered by most of their lineup is not useful to me (or anyone else I know). If anyone is actually ranging anything with a 65MOA ring, I would be very surprised. EOTECHs are probably one of the last things I would put on my rifle, at any price. Again, IMHO. Aimpoint and even Vortex have better offerings at better (and much better) pricing.
    I'm not trying to change anyone's mind either, I don't have any Eotechs anymore but to say that the reticle is not useful to anyone is going a bit far. there are still plenty in use by some very serious people...

the 65MOA circle works extremely well at shorter range. at 25 yards, it brackets just 16.25" of the target. at 12.5 yds, it's about 8" and so on...

instead of the using the center dot, I just overlay the circle shoulder-to-shoulder and touching the bottom of the chin of a standard life-size figure target, and it give me perfect upper COM hits. it's very fast and that's the only thing I like about it. I still prefer Aimpoints on my guns intended for serious use.

one other aspect of the Eotech is the 1MOA dot. this works better with a magnifier than even the 2MOA dot of an Aimpoint. if I can find one of the newer 123 batt models with the BDC dots for cheap, I may pick one up one day just for this use. as is, the magnifier with Aimpoint is an inelegant solution...
    never push a wrench...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123