Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2moa vs 1moa red dot

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    Thanks guys, I have zero knowledge on the subject other than having my 512. Looking to take some carbine courses and they are saying we will shoot up to 300 yards. I don't have the knowledge or the experience like some of you do. Just didn't know how the going from a 1moa with a 65moa circle would be different than using a 2moa dot only. I like the eotechs but seems like aimpoints are better quality.
    Dustin, what class are you taking...Boyette? If so he will get you all squared away on using your optic out to 300yds. Im assuming he will get you set up then run you through the Army Qual like he did with us. Your Eotech is plenty suitable. I qualified expert shooting an 11.5" AR with 4moa Aimpoint Micro so you should be more than okay with your Eotech.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Dustin, what class are you taking...Boyette? If so he will get you all squared away on using your optic out to 300yds. Im assuming he will get you set up then run you through the Army Qual like he did with us. Your Eotech is plenty suitable. I qualified expert shooting an 11.5" AR with 4moa Aimpoint Micro so you should be more than okay with your Eotech.
    Thanks ED!

Just looking for something lighter than 512 lol

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Thanks ED!

Just looking for something lighter than 512 lol
    Yeah you need to ditch that 512 before it craps out on you anyways. Look at an Aimpoint or the new XPS Eotech.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    Yeah you need to ditch that 512 before it craps out on you anyways. Look at an Aimpoint or the new XPS Eotech.
    What model aimpoint should I look at? I like the 65 moa ring eotech has for CQB but I'm probably putting to much though in to this

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Thanks guys, I have zero knowledge on the subject other than having my 512. Looking to take some carbine courses and they are saying we will shoot up to 300 yards. I don't have the knowledge or the experience like some of you do. Just didn't know how the going from a 1moa with a 65moa circle would be different than using a 2moa dot only. I like the eotechs but seems like aimpoints are better quality.
    We shoot out to 300 meters, or greater if available, on vital area sized targets (Tac strike steel targets).
    Most common optic: Aimpoint.
    Zero distance: 100 meters.
    Hit percentage: around 75% average.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    We shoot out to 300 meters, or greater if available, on vital area sized targets (Tac strike steel targets).
    Most common optic: Aimpoint.
    Zero distance: 100 meters.
    Hit percentage: around 75% average.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    But what model? Do you guys use mag as well or just aimpoint only ?

Feedback Score
    Can anyone else back up the eotech claim? This is the first of me hearing it. I would think if I used a magnifier a 2 moa would be 6 moa. I've never used one but just thinking.. Which is prolly wrong
    The entire image/background/reticule is magnified the same so there is no "relative" change with anything. So, with 3X magnfier, the MOA subtensions don't change, the target/background gets 3X bigger, and the FOV ghets smaller in turn.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    But what model? Do you guys use mag as well or just aimpoint only ?
    I prefer the 2 MOA Aimpoints, but the 4 MOA versions are wholly usable.
    I do not see a crisp 2 MOA dot if the intensity is turned up enough to be usable/highly obvious in daylight. I see everything from a comma, to a streak, to a starburst, but I simply use the brightest portion of the center to aim with. It works well enough to get good hits.
    Note: I have had repeated corneal injuries, which exacerbates my perceived distortion of the dot.

I do a little better with the EoTech dot, as in the dot looks cleaner, but it really doesn't matter in practical application unless I am shooting at something smaller than 4 MOA. To me, the tradeoff in battery life and overall robustness tips the scale in favor of the Aimpoints. I really prefer low powered variables, as the reticle is always crisp and clean, and I can swap rapidly from 1X to 4X.

Currently I am using a 2MOA T1, and it is ok. I have owned and used most of the Aimpoint and EoTech product lines, and here is what I find to be acceptable, in no particular order:

Aimpoint (preferably 2 MOA models):
    M3/ML3 (probably the best value if buying used, can frequently be bought with a good QD mount essentially for free)
    C3 (probably the best value RDS if buying new)
    M4/M4S (probably the most robust and purpose-built RDS in existence)
    T1/H1/R1 (probably the best form-factor RDS on the market)

EoTech:
    EXPS 2 or 3 (depending on necessity of use with NODs), preferably with single dot and ring. Most robust and evolved models in the EoTech catalog)

Trijicon
    RMR (I prefer the adjustable models. Least issue with reticle bloom of all projected reticle optics. Lacks long term data in comparison to Aimpoint or EoTech)

Leupold:
    Prismatic DCD (nice for those of us with eye damage, but not the same as the others. Good optic, but few mount options, and takes some getting used to. Not compatible with inline magnifiers)

Most of our shooters do not use or need magnification to reach out to 300 as long as the targets are obvious to the naked eye.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    The 2 MOA dot is great. 1 MOA dots have an inherent problem, namely that they are right on the edge of what the AVERAGE human eye can resolve. Some people can resolve them fine, others can't resolve a 4 MOA dot properly. Remember 1 MOA is just under 1" at 100m. Can you see a foam earplug at 100m? I cannot. This is why I prefer a 2 - 4 MOA dot. The 65 MOA ring or zombie reticle or whatever in those EOTECHs is a joke. Too busy of sight picture, with no benefits (bullet drop, etc.).
    "We must surrender our attachments to government in every aspect of life. This goes for the right and the left. We need to give up our dependencies on the state, materially and spiritually. We should not look to the state to provide for us financially or psychologically.... Let us understand that it is far better to live in an imperfect world than it is to live in a despotic world ruled by people who lord over us through force and intimidation. - Dr. Ron Paul

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I prefer the 2 MOA Aimpoints, but the 4 MOA versions are wholly usable.
    I do not see a crisp 2 MOA dot if the intensity is turned up enough to be usable/highly obvious in daylight. I see everything from a comma, to a streak, to a starburst, but I simply use the brightest portion of the center to aim with. It works well enough to get good hits.
    Note: I have had repeated corneal injuries, which exacerbates my perceived distortion of the dot.

I do a little better with the EoTech dot, as in the dot looks cleaner, but it really doesn't matter in practical application unless I am shooting at something smaller than 4 MOA. To me, the tradeoff in battery life and overall robustness tips the scale in favor of the Aimpoints. I really prefer low powered variables, as the reticle is always crisp and clean, and I can swap rapidly from 1X to 4X.

Currently I am using a 2MOA T1, and it is ok. I have owned and used most of the Aimpoint and EoTech product lines, and here is what I find to be acceptable, in no particular order:

Aimpoint (preferably 2 MOA models):
    M3/ML3 (probably the best value if buying used, can frequently be bought with a good QD mount essentially for free)
    C3 (probably the best value RDS if buying new)
    M4/M4S (probably the most robust and purpose-built RDS in existence)
    T1/H1/R1 (probably the best form-factor RDS on the market)

EoTech:
    EXPS 2 or 3 (depending on necessity of use with NODs), preferably with single dot and ring. Most robust and evolved models in the EoTech catalog)

Trijicon
    RMR (I prefer the adjustable models. Least issue with reticle bloom of all projected reticle optics. Lacks long term data in comparison to Aimpoint or EoTech)

Leupold:
    Prismatic DCD (nice for those of us with eye damage, but not the same as the others. Good optic, but few mount options, and takes some getting used to. Not compatible with inline magnifiers)

Most of our shooters do not use or need magnification to reach out to 300 as long as the targets are obvious to the naked eye.
    What do you use/how do you go from 1x 4x quickly? Use a magnifier?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast