Thread: General silencer/mount suggestions

Feedback Score

General silencer/mount suggestions

I'll make this short as possible. Im building a pinned 14.5" gun. Its going to be a "recce" style - noveske CL barrel, probably a 1-4 or 1-6 scope.

Accuracy is important. Because of this, I've written off aac(my origional choice since I like the breakout concept-brake and FH). I was told SF POI change was practically 0 while aac was significant. This gun will be mostly unsupressed, with the can thrown on for certain things here and there and I dont want to have to rezero.

So now I'm down to the socom (556-rc) or the mini.
    1- is my logic good so far or am I missing something? Is aac's poi an issue or just internet BS?

2- I'll be using this silencer for "hunting" and target shooting, so I want it quiet, but I cant find hard numbers or even good comparisons. If you have shot both, is there a noticable difference between the mini and socom on a 14.5" barrel? Or should I be considering a mini4 for my purposes as well?

3- Im not even buying a can for a year or so, but I need to know what muzzle device to perm attatch. Since Im shooting mostly unsupressed, I'm pretty set on FH vs comp. Im guessing the prong version > a2 style mount. Is this correct?

Ive been researching here for the last couple days - kinda confused with all the models and respective mounts right now. Any advice/input is greatly appreciated - thanks guys.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-08-12 at 03:26.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    AAC is widely said to have more shift, often 3moa. Mine is welded on so I couldn't tell you. SF is good though.

Three prong is much more effective yes. The Brakeout is miserable, the worst of both worlds. SF is a good choice.

Feedback Score
    The SOCOM isnt even out yet, so no one knows anything about it.
    It has a new mounting system.
    I assume it will still have minimal shift, but you never know.

Also you cant get the mounts for it yet, so if you need a FH to pin youll need to wait a bit.

I would go Surefire, but they are transitioning to new suppressors and mounts right now, so you need to decide whether to buy whats out there now, or wait for the new stuff.

Also, what it "Hunting"?
    And no 5.56 cans are really quiet
    Go on youtube and type in "surefire vs aac", there are many comparison videos of different suppressors.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by saddlerocker View Post
    The SOCOM isnt even out yet, so no one knows anything about it.
    It has a new mounting system.
    I assume it will still have minimal shift, but you never know.

Also you cant get the mounts for it yet, so if you need a FH to pin youll need to wait a bit.

I would go Surefire, but they are transitioning to new suppressors and mounts right now, so you need to decide whether to buy whats out there now, or wait for the new stuff.

Also, what it "Hunting"?
    And no 5.56 cans are really quiet
    Go on youtube and type in "surefire vs aac", there are many comparison videos of different suppressors.
    Can't hear a difference on YouTube.

Current Surefire suppressors are 1-3dB louder than AAC as best I can deduce, but the trade-off is a better mounting system and lighter/shorter can.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies, fellas. I saw the video, but I figured hearing it in person is much more reliable than audio from a youtube video.

Looks like I'll be waiting - wont be hard as no one has n4 barrels in stock right now.

"hunting" is shooting groundhogs, pigs, and coyotes. I dont know if i'd consider sitting in a field blowing up furry dirt-diggers hunting, hence the parenthesis.

Input appreciated!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    This response is totally unscientific, but for what it's worth, just from shooting these, the full size Surefire can (I can't remember which model my friend has but it's not the Socom can) does sound louder to my ears than my AAC M4-2000 (this is on 10.5" SBRs so not the same length you are looking at). However, the sound made by the AAC is a higher frequency/pitch/tone (not sure of the correct term). In my opinion the AAC has a slight edge sound-wise, but the Surefire is less shrill. My POI shift was minimal and just slightly lower.

As for the Surefire Mini, very underwhelming in my opinion. On a 10.5 SBR, it was still deafening (in my opinion) and there was still a huge fireball. It was better on a 16" but personally I would get the full size can as the performance is much better.

Now as far as your intended use, I'm actually working on a new project similar to what you have stated. After using another friend's can, I'm actually going with an Ops Inc 12th. Just figured I'd toss that in the mix for you. I like the way it sounds, and POI shift was minimal on my friend's.
    Last edited by doriwoogie; 09-09-12 at 10:17.

Feedback Score
    I was looking at ops Inc way back but I don't think any of them will fit under a urx iii due to the reflex design so I narrowed it down to the current ones.