Thread: K9 Preparedness Guide, FAQ & Link Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Long Term Storage of Dog Food

From research on the web, I've found that dry dog food will not store well due to the high oil and fat content. This tends to cause the food to go rancid even if stored in mylar with O2 absorbers. Seems to me that mylar/absorbers would be better than manufacturer packaging - but won't substantially extend the shelf life.

I'm trying to find any study/etc. that might have actual information regarding a trial of storing dry dog food via mylar & O2 absorbers.

In absence of significant proof that mylar/absorbers will significantly extend shelf life, I plan on storing enough food for 12 months in advance (I'm not at home (and will verify later) that the shelf life on the fresh stuff I just bought was about 18 months). I will then rotate in fresh food to keep the stash within the manufacturer's printed shelf life.

Thus, if the above is accurate I/we can only count on 12 months (or whatever "safe" shelf life) of stored dry food for our dogs. This is also why I put back their own stash of rice, beans, etc.

Any thoughts?

Edited to 12 months storage due to info noted below regarding toxins... (post 43)
    Last edited by cinco; 09-28-12 at 10:00. Reason: Changed storage from 18 to 12 months due to info in post 43