Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 18" or 20" barrel for .308?

Feedback Score

18" or 20" barrel for .308?

I'm looking at a. 308 precision bolt gun build, and I would like to see how much capability I lose going from 20" to 18". I'd like to keep it short, but not if it hurts its ability to perform well at long ranges. The idea is to put a can on it and possibly a folding stock for transportation.

Feedback Score
    Been there done that.

Basically, compute for 15-25fps per inch of barrel loss. Yet some barrels shoot fast, others slow.

Expect 2500-2575fps from an 18"
    Expect 2525-2600fps from a 20"

This, given a stout load of varget and a 175SMK.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    You'll likely lose approximately 10fps per inch removed, but you'll only know for sure when you test it. A good barrel, with a good chamber, coupled with good handloads and good bullets and I bet you won't have any problems to 1k. For reference, my 20" Brux sends sierra 2156 palma bullets at 2890 via 8208 xbr. Im at 2650 with 175 smk's and Varget. Both are using Winchester brass.

Feedback Score
    I am guessing that the 2800+ speed is with the 155 gr palma bullets? I am able to get there with my 20 in AI with the 155gr lapua but the accuracy is not the same as with the 168's or 175 sierras. Does the xbr powder meter well? I havn't tried anything except for varget.
    Last edited by rundm; 09-09-12 at 16:24.

Feedback Score
    Yes sir, this are the 155 bullets with a "palma" designation. Higher BC than the original 155 smk. I love them, and found them to shoot slightly better than 155 Scenars in my rifle.

XBR meters very well, and has shown to be very temperature stable in my testing. I use two chargemesters to dispense powder, so I can't speak to how it meters out of a standard powder measure. It's more ball like, so it should be fine. In my opinion, it's THE powder for heavy bullets in .223 and 155 class bullets in .308. I've been extremely pleased with it.
    Last edited by jpipes; 09-09-12 at 16:28.

Feedback Score
    Is there any difference in accuracy between the two lengths?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Barrel length does not = accuracy. There are many past threads that covert this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    Is there any difference in accuracy between the two lengths?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Barrel length does not = accuracy. There are many past threads that covert this topic.
    Actually, it does... to a degree.

The shorter, thicker the barrel... the less drastic the harmonic vibration... the more forgiving it is in regard to ammo selection/load development.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    At some point this "longer barrels aren't more accurate" thing is going to have to die. Accuracy = the ability to place rounds on target. Precision = group size. Each word has different implications.

High Accuracy / Low Precision

Low Accuracy / High Precision

While longer barrels are not more inherently precise before transonic range, and in fact short barrels often have this advantage due to rigidity - go shoot a 16'' .308 at long range with 10-20 MPH variable winds, and then shoot a 24'' gun, and tell me the 24'' doesn't produce a higher level of accuracy. And actually, longer barrels ARE also more precise starting at the transonic range of the round from the shorter barrel.

Longer barrels allow you to fudge the wind call and fudge the range estimation. Longer barrels are more accurate in the real-world, and regardless of inherent / mechanical differences, also tend to allow greater levels of demonstrated precision in the real world.
    Last edited by a0cake; 09-09-12 at 19:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    also tend to allow greater levels of demonstrated precision in the real world.
    which is the only thing that matters.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast