Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Regarding .22 precision trainers

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Regarding .22 precision trainers

Would this scope be appropriate for a .22 caliber rifle? CZ-452 Trainer in my case. Not a precision rifle per-se, but it's very accurate and has a decent trigger job. It's certainly capable.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/598...-reticle-matte

It's on sale this month, and I don't have my own glass. This is why I ask.

Or is there some rule that rimfire guns should only have rimfire scopes?

I figured it didn't matter too much, but I wanted to double-check.
    Last edited by rojocorsa; 09-14-12 at 17:11.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It's a fantastic scope for the money, but of course depends on what and how you want to shoot. You may run into problems with parallax at short ranges, i.e., 25 yards.

I use a 4.5-14x44 Mueller AO scope on my 452 to deal with the parallax. However, I no longer use it for anything closer than 50 yards and typically am shooting 22LR 100y+.

The 452 can very well be a precision rifle with minimal modifications.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    One more point- If you're considering using the 452 for precision work or longer distances and can spend a little more, take a look at the Vortex HS Tactical 5-15x44. Lots of good reports on these from rimfire folks.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I probably won't be shooting closer than 50 yds with this.

Reason I wanted this glass was because it has mil/mil but still has a 1" diameter tube.

The Vortex is nice but a little too rich for me at the moment. I want to see if this Weaver is worth it (so I could take advantage of its being on sale currently).

I just want to ensure I'm not buying a total piece of shit.

For now, uses would include offhand rimfire silhouette and target shooting. So far, I've been making do with a big ass Bushnell Banner loaner.

As you can see, it barely fits.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    I probably won't be shooting closer than 50 yds with this.

Reason I wanted this glass was because it has mil/mil but still has a 1" diameter tube.

The Vortex is nice but a little too rich for me at the moment. I want to see if this Weaver is worth it (so I could take advantage of its being on sale currently).

I just want to ensure I'm not buying a total piece of shit.

For now, uses would include offhand rimfire silhouette and target shooting. So far, I've been making do with a big ass Bushnell Banner loaner.

As you can see, it barely fits.

That is a big ass scope! Obviously you would be better off with a pic rail and weaver/pic rings.

The Weaver GS is definitely not a piece of shit. It's likely the best variable optic buy under $400. At $299 it's an amazing deal, however, Midway seems to offer this discounted price about every other month or two. Take a look at Sniper Central's review.

Feedback Score
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/456...-reticle-matte

I got one of these for my 40x trainer and have had it out to the range only two times. Focus down to 25yards. Has seemed pretty repeatable. Seems a pretty popular 22 scope due to the short foucs distance, which I know you don't care as much about.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    In my experience, adjustable parallax is critical in a precision rifle scope.
    If you can't get the parallax perfect, you can't have the confidence in your shot placement that you need to call your shots.
    Lack of parallax adjustment to the range you are shooting at makes a scope a no-go for me.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AR15barrels View Post
    adjustable parallax is critical in a precision rifle scope.
    Very important.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'll confess that I've read the "US Optics" article on the parallax, and it still doesn't click in my head.

Looks like I need to go back and try to read it again.

In essence, it's just about focusing the scope, correct?

Feedback Score
    Yeah the scope your link goes to has no paralax adjust- id guess it's set at 100 yds. That would be a deal breaker for me on a rim fire scope. You wouldnt be able to use it much closer than 50yds and it would still be little blurry inside 75yds on anything higher than 6x or so. Trust me I had a cheap pos 4-12x non paralax adjustable scope on a 22lr once- its just not ideal.

The ss10x is a good scope for 300$, weaver v-16, some good deals still around on older bushy 3200 and 4200s. Natchezss has a sale on a bunch of weaver scopes. I'd get on that focus down to 25yds for a rim fire. I wouldn't worry about trying to find a mil/mil scope for 300ish dollars- you don't need mil/ mil, you do need an AO or SF or some way of adjusting parallax on a vari-x scope.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast