Thread: what do you think of this trijicon TA31DOC

Feedback Score

what do you think of this trijicon TA31DOC

the TA31DOC or is a aimpoint or eotech better for the money. it will go on my personal gun that i don't plan on selling anytime soon. does anyone know where to get the best deal on one also?

John Pearson
    They make a psychiatrist get psychoanalyzed before he can become certified, but they don't make a surgeon get cut on. Does that seem right to you?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I am not a fan of the combination.

The height over bore of the Doc when attached on top of the ACOG is excessive, causing large hold-over at close range, and non-acceptable (to me) "Chin-Weld" on the stock.

I personally prefer a variable low-power magnified optic or an Aimpoint/3x combo.

It really comes down to application and expectation.

If you don't really care about close range, and will only be shooting in daylight from an overhead illuminated position, the ACOG will probably meet your needs well. The ACOG is a great 50 to 500 meter daylight/waning light optic. Just don't expect great precision at distances past 300 m.

If close-range (0-100 meters), in all light conditions is the primary application, 1x illuminated optics are the king. They can be pushed out much further with experience and knowledge of hold-over at range.

If you need improved precision/identification out to 300 meters, the 3x magnifier for the 1x optics will be good, but the 1-4 variables will be perfect (this concept has been explored very well by USMC03 HERE). You can do a (relatively) inexpensive setup with the Meopta Meostar K-Dot for the price of an ACOG/DOC.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I played with the TA01NSN/DR Combo after 9/11 -- in addition to the issues brought up by failure2stop -- the different muscle memory is a bitch -- I found I was constantly dropping into the ACOG.

While the TA31DOC is better than the NSNDR combo -- its still not as good as a ShortDot
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Kevin-
    I had the same issue with initial presentation.

At close range (without prep) I expect to see the DOC dot on the target, but instead I see the red chevron "lost" somewhere on the magnified/blurry target.

If I am just running an ACOG I expect the issue and shoot through it, though I do not prefer the method.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    most of my shooting will be between 25-175 meters so would a aimpoint suit me better i have found the comp m4 for 550 ish sounds like a good deal to me

thanks guy for your replies i really want to pick something out once and be happy with it, as that is a lot of money
    They make a psychiatrist get psychoanalyzed before he can become certified, but they don't make a surgeon get cut on. Does that seem right to you?

Feedback Score
    I love my TA31DOC minus the DOC. I sold the DOCTER rigth after I mounted it on the rifle and found out two things that I did not like about it.

1. Like FTS mentioned, it was too high.

2. The cover on the optic took too long to take off. I had to pinch it and hoped that it would come off when I pulled it off.

I like the crosshairs on the TA31DOC much better than the Chevron (maybe because I was used to my NSN model. With the addition of the fiber optic feature, the crosshairs were perfect for my 16" CMMG Middy.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    A guy in the November low light class was running one and it was not working out for him. LAV pinged on it right away.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    I played with the TA01NSN/DR Combo after 9/11 -- in addition to the issues brought up by failure2stop -- the different muscle memory is a bitch -- I found I was constantly dropping into the ACOG.

While the TA31DOC is better than the NSNDR combo -- its still not as good as a ShortDot
    What about a 1.25-4X Trijicon Accupoint with the red triangle as a po' man's alternative to the Short Dot?

Put an opaque flip-up cover on the front and it works like a red dot. When you need magnification, flip it up.

Feedback Score
    thanks guys but i got a aimpoint compm2