Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 300 Blackout & Vltor's A5 system?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    All I can say is that I fired my .300 BLK upper for the first time last week (10" Noveske barrel) on an A5 lower with the H3 buffer and green Springco spring. I was shooting the Remington 125gr. supersonic and it was smooth like a baby's ass.

I think you will be fine. I would encourage you to look at a Springco spring as they truly seem to last longer than standard springs.
    Great...saves me some "learning curve" time
    Daniel Defense V4
    Benelli Super Vinci
    Tikka T3 SS Lam .270wsm
    Vortex Dealer

Feedback Score

My experiment today

Brand new 300 blk I put together ( I had a spare lower sitting around, next thing I know, it turned into a rifle! ).
    A5, standard buffer
    BCM upper receiver
    BCM bcg
    16" AR stoner SS barrel
    Vltor SS lowpro gas block
    SS Battlecomp
    Geissele SSA
    Old doublestar stripped lower I had collecting dust
    Troy Alpha 15"
    Magpul FDE Ceracote
    It would eject beautiful, but would not lock back on last round. I swapped in another spare lower I have with a standard carbine buffer setup to see how that worked. Same issue. No bolt lockback.
    I had 2 spare standard A5 buffers ( I use the A5 on my 556 & 6.8), so I took them apart and swapped 1 steel weight with 1 tungsten weight. This gave me a lighter than standard A5 buffer.
    It works great! Bolt locks back everytime, cycles beautifully, ejects the brass into a neat little pile.
    I now see Vltor makes a lower weight A5 buffer, I do not know what the weight difference is between it and what I did with parts on hand. Hell, probably the same as what I did.
    This is what worked for me and my setup.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The slightly dented case mouths is 100% normal in my experience. I use a A5 5.4oz buffer with my 16" S&W and did with my AAC 16" and it does it with my 9" AAC as well.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Trying to get some updated info on this.

I'm running a 10" noveske barrel on a SR15 lower and it will cycle but not lock the bolt open when suppressed, Unsuppressed to will not pick up a new round. I believe the buffer is standard carbine weight. Everything appears to be correct on the upper, would the A5 system help? I would like it to function reliably suppressed. All ammo is 220gr remington or 225gr hornady reloads at approx 1000fps with 1680.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

300 Blackout & Vltor's A5 system?

FWIW, factory Noveske 300BLK rifles come with pistol gas and H2 buffer.

16" 300 AAC BLACKOUT Stainless Barrel
    [...]
    --Pistol length gas system
    [...]
    --H2 Buffer
    Here is the blurb from their web site which notes the only caveat is running SUBsonics UNsuppressed.

The Noveske 300 AAC BLACKOUT is designed to run optimally firing both subsonic suppressed and supersonic unsuppressed. This barrel is tuned to lock back on the last round using subsonic 220 and 208 grain ammunition with a sound suppressor. The firearm may not lock back with subsonic 220 and 208 grain ammunition without a sound suppressor.
    -john
    Last edited by bzdog; 08-12-13 at 09:59.

Feedback Score
    I'm trying to figure out how a heavier buffer would get the bolt to lock back.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Your setup pistol gas?

-john

Feedback Score
    Yeah. It's the standard noveske setup.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Note their blurb goes on to say:

The barrel is tuned to operate correctly with the back pressure provided by the AAC 762-SDN-6 using an H2 buffer, or a Surefire 762K suppressor and an H buffer. In the development of this barrel, we found evidence that the suppressor may require a symmetrical baffle stack as found in the AAC Cyclone K, 762-SDN6, and Surefire 762K suppressor. Suppressors which cause off axis turbulence, such as those with K type baffles, may cause baffle strikes and/or point of impact shift, and may damage your suppressor.
    So it sounds like there are some tuning issues depending on the back pressure produced by your can.

-john
    Last edited by bzdog; 08-12-13 at 21:14.

Feedback Score
    I'm using the Surefire mini 762. I'm not sure where that one fits in. I believe the Sr 15 uses a carbine buffer, so I don't think I can go lighter. I might try using it with the A5 and trying different buffer weights in that. Otherwise, I'm at a loss.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast