Thread: Looking for first real 1911

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Colt Rail Gun
    SA MC Operator
    DX/Neg the Sig.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Springfield, Colt 70 series, and Kimber Series 1 would be my list. They are all 70 Series guns, with no internal differences. 80 Series Colts and Series 2 Kimbers use different internal safeties and may not be compatible with all aftermarket parts, less likely to happen than with 70 Series. The Smith uses an external extractor. To a purist, that would be blasphemy. My understanding is that the E series guns fixed earlier extraction problems.

I currently own five Springfields, so I may be slightly biased. A worked over loaded, a TRP Operator, an MC Operator, a Loaded 9mm, and a Champion. The TRP's are an incredible value. You get a lot for what you're paying. The others get you in the door, and allow you to have them worked on as funds allow.

From what I've heard, the current Colts are great.

My current unit issues Kimbers that came from their custom shop. They are getting long in the tooth, and I can't say how they were maintained before I got there. They continue to run strong, with only minor issues. One of the recent production line Kimbers I worked on this week was fine, but very rough internally.

If you have access to a good 1911 smith, any of the above woul be a good choice. If not, I can vouch for Springfields excellent customer service.

Please let us know what you end up with, and how it works out.

Also, welcome to the most expensive club you'll ever join!

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    I have a Colt Combat Elite,,and easily put over 5K through it,,,fast approaching 6K,,it has been a Awesome Pistol !!! I hear good things about the Rail Guns also,,,I'll have one some day,,LOL !! Springfield would be next choice,,get at least a "Loaded" Model,,has some nice upgrades at a reasonable price still !!! I like the looks & the ideals behind alot of the Sig 1911s,,lots of bang for the buck for sure,,I also have a shooting buddy that just bought a Sig 1911,,can't remember the Model,,,but it has been running pretty good so far,,but I know he has less than 1K through it,,,probably 5/600 or so,,,if anything comes up,,I'll post it here !!! Let us know how ya make out.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have 2 colts they are very nice. I am in the process of rebuilding one now its an 80 series 1991. I don't think that there is anything wrong with the 80 series pistols, however. It seams to be costing more be cause of the extra parts, its not a lot more.

The funny thing is I have the 2 pistols the other is a Sistemia made on colt tooling in Argentina. That pistol only cost me 250$ and it is superior in fit and finish to pistol made some 50 years later.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mdain View Post

I currently own five Springfields, so I may be slightly biased. A worked over loaded, a TRP Operator, an MC Operator, a Loaded 9mm, and a Champion. The TRP's are an incredible value. You get a lot for what you're paying.
    I have been looking at the MC Operator and the TRP, but what are some of the difference between them, spec chart seems fairly similar.
    The TRP has a checked front strap and the MC has a wrap around. Sights are little different.

Quote Originally Posted by mdain View Post

Also, welcome to the most expensive club you'll ever join!
    That is what I am afraid of.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    For some reason never really considered Springfield, but after several recommendations I took a look at them, I am liking them so far, need to get to a LGS so I can handle them.

The TRP and the MC Operator have really caught my attention so far.
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The MC Operator is a conventional bushing barrel, fixed sights, and mine has a GI guide rod setup. The TRP Operator I have is a full length rail, bull barrel, and adjustable night sights.

I owned my MC Operator before I picked up the TRP Operator. My MC Operator only need minor tweaks that were mostly personal preference. I ditched the Pachmeyer grips for VZ 320's. I also added a Smith and Alexander mag well.

I didn't think the TRP would be worth the extra cash. Boy was I surprised. The TRP is much tighter from the factory. It will shoot circles around my MC Operator. The extracor was already tuned, the machine checkering looks great and provides plenty of bite. I've run it in several classes, including Tigerswan and TAPS, without any issues. The only problem I found was that the baseplates on Mecgar magazines hit the TRP mag well. Not a big issue, since I run Tripp Cobra mags for work.

I'll try to get pics up in the 1911 photo thread later.

Feedback Score
    I ended up with a black over black Colt Rail Gun. The TRP seemed a bit heavy for my taste and for the extra cash, I can do some custom work. The checkering was a bit harsh as well for what I wanted. I have been impressed with the build quality and did not notice any sharpness like people complain about.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nytcrawler93 View Post
    I ended up with a black over black Colt Rail Gun. The TRP seemed a bit heavy for my taste and for the extra cash, I can do some custom work. The checkering was a bit harsh as well for what I wanted. I have been impressed with the build quality and did not notice any sharpness like people complain about.
    Same here. I think it's an overblown nitpick. I use mine in competition and have yet to have any issues with these so-called sharp edges.

Feedback Score
    Right now, I sleep with a Sig Scorpion. I am a huge Sig fanboy. I've been through 4 Sigs, and never had a problem with them. Only reason I traded them out was because that's what I do. I like to trade guns. I recently got a Sig P226R Navy and now the Sig 1911 Scorpion.

Tomorrow, I will test fire my Scorpion. I've had no problems with Sig.

As far as 1911, I have in my wish list: Kimber Desert Warrior and Springfield Armory MC Operator.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast