Thread: Old school rifle vs modern rifle theory.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Old school rifle vs modern rifle theory.

So most of the little knowledge that I have about precision rifles comes from this and similar sites.

I understand that barrels need to be free floated so that they remain consistent in the way that they vibrate and such. That's a pretty easy concept to grasp.

99% percent of the centerfire rifle shooting I do involves guns that were in vogue 70 yrs ago. In other words, milsurp rifles.

What I don't understand is that some of them supposedly like to have some pressure/contact with the stock or stock bands near the front of the rifle. The Soviet Mosins, German Mausers, and English Enfields come to mind.

I dont understand why these seem to shoot better with contact whereas all of the relevant rifles today are 100% free floated.

Wouldn't these old guns themselves perform better if they were completely free floated too?

Feedback Score
    the only thing that matters is that it's consistent shot to shot. if something is touching the barrel, it needs to do so the same way all the time. if nothing is touching the barrel, well that just makes it easy.

many aren't actually 100% free floated as many gunsmiths believe its best if you bed the first few inches of the barrel shank. others believe you shouldn't bed anything past the action lug.

i couldn't begin to speculate about how an old piece of wood behaves after 70 years of water, sweat, cosmoline and recoil.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Some modern guns have a point where the stock touches the barrel. They intentionally put a point up in front of stock. I think the new Sako A7 has a point that touches towards the front, and they are guaranteed 1 moa 5 shot group.....

On average, most guns would do better free floated.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Barrel stiffness likely has something to do with it. I have a Rem model 7 lightweight hunting .308 that wouldn't shoot better than 2 MOA. Wouldn't shoot free-floated, either. I bedded in 3 lbs of pressure at the forend tip, and viola...groups were cut in half.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Its because of barrel harmonics, small thin barrels tend to do better with pressure from the for-end.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SPQR476 View Post
    Barrel stiffness likely has something to do with it. I have a Rem model 7 lightweight hunting .308 that wouldn't shoot better than 2 MOA. Wouldn't shoot free-floated, either. I bedded in 3 lbs of pressure at the forend tip, and viola...groups were cut in half.
    I had a featherweight that shot terrible. That's why bench rest guns have ft fat fat barrels. I'm no longer a fan of thin barrels.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"