Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we motivate people to get proper CCW training?

Feedback Score

How do we motivate people to get proper CCW training?

I know several CCW holders and I don't believe any of them have much of a chance in a gunfight. In fact, I don't even think they can draw their pistol without getting it snagged or dropping it, or even if they have the mindset to fire their weapon in anger in the first place. I blame this on the fact that the CCW courses they took (if they even took one) didn't prepare them to carry a weapon. They fired a handful of rounds at a bullseye and went home. No low-light training, reload, malfunction clearance, trauma care, etc. Is this common for most CCW classes?

My question is: How do we make training attractive to new shooters? How do we encourage them to spend $500 on a proper firearm, and then ANOTHER $500-$700 on a good class and ammo?

I know there will always be a market for lowest common denominator courses that promise a CCW permit for practically zero effort or risk of failure. How do we make GOOD training "sexy" to new shooters? I think Magpul, Panteo, et. al have tapped into this need by releasing well-made, entertaining videos, but obviously they cannot take the place of live training.

Instructors: What do you think about the standard of CCW training these days?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I hate to say it but you can lead a horse to water...

Until that person is involved in a situation which they are nothing short of lucky to get out of alive they wont wake up.

This is for the general ccw citizen. Thankfully there is a minority which wants to train and have that ability. We are the vast minority.

Or you can make the training free with free ammo - which wont happen - but if it did people would come out.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I know several CCW holders and I don't believe any of them have much of a chance in a gunfight. In fact, I don't even think they can draw their pistol without getting it snagged or dropping it, or even if they have the mindset to fire their weapon in anger in the first place. I blame this on the fact that the CCW courses they took (if they even took one) didn't prepare them to carry a weapon. They fired a handful of rounds at a bullseye and went home. No low-light training, reload, malfunction clearance, trauma care, etc. Is this common for most CCW classes?

My question is: How do we make training attractive to new shooters? How do we encourage them to spend $500 on a proper firearm, and then ANOTHER $500-$700 on a good class and ammo?

I know there will always be a market for lowest common denominator courses that promise a CCW permit for practically zero effort or risk of failure. How do we make GOOD training "sexy" to new shooters? I think Magpul, Panteo, et. al have tapped into this need by releasing well-made, entertaining videos, but obviously they cannot take the place of live training.

LOL, you sound like me! Yes, it is 100% NORMAL for people to get their CCW and think they are "good." So how do we fix it? Step by step process:

1. Remove penis/ego.
    2. Delete everything they THOUGHT they knew about firearms, gear and how to shoot.

When I moved to rural Ohio (from VA Beach area), I quickly realized that I was in a training wasteland. No one was doing it around me, no quality firearms instructors were being hosted and there was virtually zero interest in training. So I decided to change that. I started offering FREE training at my local gun club in an effort to get people interested in defensive shooting. One would have thought that I would 500 people show up every month, but sadly no (as they already know everything and don't need no stinkin training).

The only way to get them involved is to show them what they don't know. Explain to them that the CCW class is just the first step in a 10 mile hike and that if they are serious about protecting themselves and their loved ones that they need to take training.

Many will blow off training because of the cost. So to fix that, you (or someone that knows what they are doing) will need to offer free classes to get them interested.

Good luck!

C4

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've been successful at getting quite a few people to go out and get some training by first convincing them to come out to one of the local matches. I always record their runs so they can see themselves fumbling around throughout each stage. That video coupled with the scores is typically enough to humble them as they realize they couldn't perform under pressure from a timer, so there is no way in hell they'd perform in a real fight.

The next obstable is typically the cost of a good class. Thats normally an easy sell since most of the types of people we are talking about tend to have several guns at home in the safe. Most times they will have quite a few that do nothing but collect dust or simply serve in redundant roles...i.e. having a Glock 26, XD9c, and M&P9c all of which fall in the same category. Selling one of those dust collectors makes them the money to cover tuition and ammo.

I'm a big advocate for spending money on upgrading ones Software rather than constantly spending money on new Hardware.

Feedback Score
    I think one of the answers is that being well trained needs to have a higher degree of social prestige associated with it. This is why I like to approach from the direction of shooting being just another martial art like Karate or Kung-Fu. That way the listener is approaching the topic with the understanding that discipline, hard work and repetition are part and parcel of being a responsible and EFFECTIVE CCW holder. It also holds the promise of finally attaining a socially respected status not unlike the "black belt". It's something to be proud of, not hidden from others.

Right now, it seems the viewpoint of most recreational shooters is that classes like Vickers, Magpul, etc. are tantamount to "militia training" and are therefore unacceptable for people who aren't paranoid, anti-government types. I think that is one of the biggest obstacles we face: Separating CCW-holders and combat style shooting from the shadow of "domestic terrorism". As silly as it sounds, it's a real concern, one that I've heard repeated by people I thought should have known better. It's the same mentality that says hunting rifles are acceptable, cherished tools but AR-15s are just instruments of murder and terror. I see nothing wrong with strapping on a chest rig, pistol and carbine and spending a few hours doing drills. To me, my war belt is my karate uniform, not a costume in which I practice for an impending mass murder. We need to work hard to get other people to understand this as well.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I find it ridiculous as well. Just like motorcyclists who take the basic MSF riders course to get a license, and then think they are the next Valentino Rossi or Mick Doohan. They don't realise the level of training it takes to be proficient, let alone truly skilled. The biggest obstacles I see also are people who think taking a carbine course, or pistol course think is just for "mall ninjas" or the other side who see it as domestic terrorist training camps. Someday I hope it will be seen like taking golf lessons from a pro or an advanced driving class, but we are still a ways off. It is coming along though considering how many competent trainers are now offering classes across the country.

Feedback Score
    500-700 + a couple hundred rounds of ammo is a lot to a lot of people regardless of the need to train....i think if there were more entry level courses in the 200 range it would get way more people in the mindset.
    And the "how much is your life worth" is a straw man to people who had just enough to get the pistol and ccw license.

sent from my overcompensation tool known as the galaxy note

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    imo,
    Regarding the masses, your not unless you mandate it by ROL through reform as part of firearms ownership laws. Liability Insurance as well the same ticket.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    Earlier this spring I fingerprinted a lady at my PD for her Florida CCW nonresident permit application. She had taken a CCW class from someone that regularly conducts classes in this area. After fingerprinting she asked me if I could show her how to load her pistol. I was shocked. In a 5 to 6 hour CCW class wouldn't loading your pistol be covered by hour 3 at the latest?????

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    In many states, many PTC courses, the emphasis is on when to shoot, not how to shoot. The course I took for my my PTC a couple of years ago was a joke. Virtually no range time. My wife's PTC course was more inclusive, but still extremely low-level.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast