Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How do we motivate people to get proper CCW training?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    CCW is an insurance policy. Most people on the street buy the cheapest insurance they can get (state minimum coverage). How many people do you know that carry high end policies with lots of coverage?

Most of your average CCW folks will never get attacked. Of the small percentage that do, 90% of those will be able to scare the BG off by merely displaying the gun. Of the remainder, 8% will be able to incapacitate or deter their attacker by shooting. Only 1-2% will get in so far over their heads that they lose.

Most of us are that .05% that would prevail even in a serious furball with a hardened foe. We recognize that there are truly evil people in the world and that not all of them are inept. We're training for that half of a half a percent scenario, because it's simply unacceptable for us to allow a goblin to win, ever.

I don't think you're fighting the mindset that they're fully prepared simply by having a gun, so much as the reality that most of them will never need much more.
    I think you hit on all the points I was going to make. I have a financial planning practice and I see the insurance thing across the entire spectrum from guys who are making close to $100k all the way up to 7 figures and they have the most inadequate life insurance policy on themselves because their State Farm agent told them they needed $200k of term. Not to mention long term disability insurance that covers how they put a roof over their head and feed their families.

I think a lot of it boils down to people are lazy by nature and "it won't happen to me".

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    We are lucky that there are at least two indoor gun ranges that will let you draw from a holster if you can prove you are not a dumbass. But most ranges won't let you draw from a holster- heck most won't let you shoot more than controlled pairs and the state range is like 5 seconds between shots. All not really condusive to putting down a threat.
    I think this is one of the biggest reasons to be sure.
    ALL the ranges I've had been to have had some sort of wankery rules that inhibit shooters from doing much other than "stand/sit there and shoot slowfire at a single bullseye"- even the outdoor ones with absolutely NO reason to do so.
    Which is why I avoid organized ranges like the plague (thank GOD for good ol' country livin' ).
    With friends like these, who needs enemies?

But anyway, I think neutered ranges like these cause major problems for a few reasons;
    -They are populated by fudd-tastic morons who think that type of shooting is all you'll ever need. Also known as "sportsmen", may their souls rot in the underworld.
    - They foster the same fudd mindest in all the shooters that frequent them- "well, if my range has these rules and the guy behind the counter says so, then this must be the true path of the Lord".
    -They make it impossible to even host a class there, due to the previous reasons.
    And thus the cycle is self perpetuating.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    Believe it or not, but most gun owners do not see a need of any kind to train, at all. They laugh at the concept of mindset and situational awareness. This has been my experience with most gun owners locally.
    Forget gun owners- I doubt half the population of the country has the situational awareness to get through a parking lot safely.

Anyway, to rehash what's been said-
    Biggest two reasons for lack of training are as previously stated- price and willpower/perceived need for training

I know for me personally, price is a HUGE factor- A short while back I worked out the cost of a two day carbine/pistol combo class. It came to well over a $1k. One has to factor in cost of ammo, cost of any gear they don't already have, cost of gas to/from, class fee, and then if it's more than 1 day and the range won't let you camp out, cost of hotel and food. And that's not taking into consideration the people that have to fly in to attend.

Me personally, I would be all over a free class like Grant puts on if it was less than 8 freakin' hours away. Or even a 1-day reduced-rate class within reasonable driving distance. But I'm sure it's not worth it for any instructor worth their salt to do that out of anything other than the goodness of their heart for the lack of attendance, as has been menioned here.
    And so we who wish to learn but are on a strict budget are simply stuck daydreaming about the training we COULD be getting, but can't due to the moronic majority.

And of course, speaking of the moronic majority, how the hell can you covince someone to get more realistic/practical training if all they think they'll need to do is "just whip it out" or "rack the slide" or "shoot 'em in the leg" or "my .45 will put 'em down in 1 shot so I don't need all that fancy militia/mall ninja/ COD crap"?
    Impossible.
    Either they'll have their 'come to jesus' moment when they figure they know nothing (finger pointed quarely in this direction as well) and of their own accord decide to know more, or they'll do what everyone already does and blissfully float along secure in their knowledge that "it won't be me- it'll be the other guy".
    Not a damn thing you can do to change their minds other then attempt to steer them towards a greener pasture and hope they hop the fence themselves.

Off topic, I find it even more ridiculous and alarming when the people relying on a long-arm for a "SHTF" scenario take the "I know enough" approach, as the situation will be many times worse if that day comes.

Also, I have an idea for the instructors- instead of marketing it to the "defensive/practical" crowd, label your classes "learn how to shoot fast in x-days", just like the "become a black belt in 60 seconds" karate classes.
    I'll bet you triple attendance.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    Jeezum after reading this I can't help but think how lucky I am. Our range ($200/year) is really pretty free. No silly restrictions on speed of fire or not drawing from a holster. we have three pistol bays and if you have one empty you can move forward, shoot and move or whatever.

We had one idiot shoot themselves i the leg a few years back- trying to drop the hammer on a 1911 in the holster

I will say (and I think most of ya'll know this) that many manipulations, especially the draw, could and should be worked out before hand at home with dry fire.
    Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans and must be that of every free state. - T. Jefferson

EVERYCITIZENASOLDIER.org

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345