Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we motivate people to get proper CCW training?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by t00sl0w View Post
    500-700 + a couple hundred rounds of ammo is a lot to a lot of people regardless of the need to train....i think if there were more entry level courses in the 200 range it would get way more people in the mindset.
    And the "how much is your life worth" is a straw man to people who had just enough to get the pistol and ccw license.

sent from my overcompensation tool known as the galaxy note
    I agree with this. Maybe offering classes that are cheaper, say $75-100 for a two hour block instruction, focusing on specific drills/techniques.

You could break it up into 12 classes, offered once a month, so the shooter would spend more through the year. Offer good prices on ammo before or during the classes IOT generate a higher ticket (sale).

Feedback Score
    I think a big part of the problem is the location (and/or lack of) of shooting ranges in relation to where most people live. My gym is 1 mile from my house. I have a crossfit gym about 400 yds from my house. My MMA gym is about 2 miles from my house.

Nearest shooting range is about 40 miles from where I live. Not to mention there is usually a 2 hr wait to shoot once I get there. As much as I would like to train, driving for 45 minutes, shooting for 1-2 hrs, then driving another 45 min to get home takes up a lot of time. Add in other things like work, family, etc. and there is only so much time left in the day.

If there were more ranges that weren't out in the boonies, I think there would be a ton of people interested in taking proper CCW classes.

Feedback Score
    If you're the CCW instructor, could you offer follow-on classes, maybe at a reduced rate for students who attend the basic CCW class? Maybe get them signed up with a down payment at the end of the day.

Another thing to consider, sometimes adults are more receptive when you can demonstrate how more training will benefit them in meeting their self defense needs.
    Last edited by Redhat; 09-14-12 at 20:30.

Feedback Score

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mpd046 View Post
    Earlier this spring I fingerprinted a lady at my PD for her Florida CCW nonresident permit application. She had taken a CCW class from someone that regularly conducts classes in this area. After fingerprinting she asked me if I could show her how to load her pistol. I was shocked. In a 5 to 6 hour CCW class wouldn't loading your pistol be covered by hour 3 at the latest?????
    In Florida most people get their class at the Gun Show. Not only is shooting not required anymore, it was 25 years ago when I got mine but only 30 rounds for a certain score, they don't even allow a loaded gun in the building unless you are LEO. It is only about the laws of Florida and maybe some advice on what to say if you do shoot somebody in self defense so thy don't arrest you. You don't touch a gun.

I'm not a firearms instructor but I was a Flight Instructor and am a USCG Designated Examiner and what I found was that if you make it cheap, fun and don't be an arrogant, condescending ass and you will get more people in, get female instructors in and you will get more women in and if they are hot, more guys too.
    U.S. Merchant Marine
    Master AGT
    1st Class Pilot AGT
    Vessel Security Officer
    Spike's 5.56
    SOTA/Spike's 300BLK

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    People just don't wanna do it. I shoot Steel Challenge with a bunch a big-time 2A guys who all carry concealed every day. They mostly just talk about which caliber/bullet is the baddest man-stopper, new ways to get their trigger pull 'better', and bitch about Obama.

They do this at Steel Challenge practice. They'll stand there and b.s. until the sun goes down and maybe get in a hundred rounds with their .22s.

It ain't training, but I've tried to hint around that I could help 'em out but they all act like I'm some mall-ninja kid because I practice with my carry gun (Glock 19/17).

People have to embrace the mindset of being a student before they can learn anything.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    So far the only way I've gotten "those" types to train is to get them into IDPA. I had 2 pilot buddies that IDPA made the difference as it was fun and competitive. I know its not FOF training, but atleast they could shoot well after a few months.
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Here in NC there are plenty of good instructors and a few in the $175-250/class range which is very reasonable in my opinion. That said, we still have plenty of folks who don't feel the need to spend the money or fail to see where they could improve.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    LOL, you sound like me! Yes, it is 100% NORMAL for people to get their CCW and think they are "good." So how do we fix it? Step by step process:

1. Remove penis/ego.
    2. Delete everything they THOUGHT they knew about firearms, gear and how to shoot.

When I moved to rural Ohio (from VA Beach area), I quickly realized that I was in a training wasteland. No one was doing it around me, no quality firearms instructors were being hosted and there was virtually zero interest in training. So I decided to change that. I started offering FREE training at my local gun club in an effort to get people interested in defensive shooting. One would have thought that I would 500 people show up every month, but sadly no (as they already know everything and don't need no stinkin training).

The only way to get them involved is to show them what they don't know. Explain to them that the CCW class is just the first step in a 10 mile hike and that if they are serious about protecting themselves and their loved ones that they need to take training.

Many will blow off training because of the cost. So to fix that, you (or someone that knows what they are doing) will need to offer free classes to get them interested.

Good luck!

C4
    Just wanted to say thanks again for doing this Grant. Ben and yourself truly are a godsend to central Ohio shooters. Even at free cost I can't seem to get people to come with me.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Computer went into burst mode.
    Last edited by 4DAIVI PAI2K5; 09-15-12 at 08:31.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I offer classes in the $125 range for a whole day worth of training in central NC, and it can be difficult to get folks to a handgun class these days. I teach nothing but the basics of marksmanship, grip and stance, drawstroke, etc. in an effort to get students to realize there is often a gap in their knowledge. Hopefully, it will lead those that are serious to graduate to the upper levels of training in advanced skills like shoot on the move, low light, etc. by the myriad of top level instructors that often offer classes of that type in NC. We often hear even after our basic classes that they are suprised how much they didn't even realize they didn't know, and how much they can improve with a few simple concepts and drills.

The other issue is range time. Even when compensating ranges, and even with certifications and comprehensive insurance policies, it can be hard to get ranges to allow instructors to come in and teach. Lots of egos on the boards of most ranges. Lots of Phudds with pull at the ranges that think you should only have a revolver and a bolt action rifle for deer hunting. Vary from the tea cup grip and weaver stance, and they "ain't got no use for your fancy-pants trainin'."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast