Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR-15 vs Shotgun inside a residence?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Thanks.

As far as our dept shooting last year, I do not know why a headshot was taken. The subject was no longer a threat after shots were fired, but he was shot at the same time with the .223 on his forehead, as well as multiple shotgun pellets. I do not know what round put him down, and since he lived no autopsy to figure it out.

Slug selects are great if you have time, but would be next to impossible inside a house, I agree there.

I go by what I call a +1 rule when I search a house. If there is one suspect, there is likely two. If I find one gun, there is likely another. Thats a huge +1 for the AR, as fast as I am pumping the 870, its still 3x faster to pull the trigger again on the AR.

The good part is our dept is large enough to have a full swat response in under 25-30 minutes anywhere in the city, so under most situations it would be advisable for us to wait for a team before making entry on a known threat. Especially on non-hostage barricaded gunman runs. I feel for the sheriffs Deputies out there who have 2-3 guys working per shift, and a 15 minute wait for backup. I have only called for help once, and I had 12 cars in about two minutes.

After reading your thoughts, and thinking about it myself I think the benefits of the AR indoors probably outweigh the 870. Car doors and windshields will be another topic....

I am well aware of the "no magic rounds" rule. I have seen enough gunshot wounds to see people that should have died 6 times over live and walk around to talk about it.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar
    I agree Grant, but I'm a bachelor.....
    The M-14 is starting to make a little more sense now...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm thinking to my self... What can the Shotgun do that the AR cannot. I can't think of anything. So for me, the AR is preferred. I have spent a lot of time and energy trying to master it. For me it would be foolish to then rely on a Shotgun and waste all that practice and muscle memory.

My AR is more compact
    has a Day/Night capability
    much better ammo capacity
    way better ergonomics
    Much faster follow up shots
    quicker to reload
    recoil much easier to manage

I don't want to have to train on two different systems.

Just my Take.. I use my shotguns to hunt Grouse and pheasant and the occasional clay bird... I use my AR for everything else.....

Feedback Score
    The reason I am bringing this topic up is the lack of faith I have in my issued rifle ammunition.
    I had the same issue at my department. We were using Federal 55grn JHP. The ammo couldn't even handle just riding around in a patrol car. We were routinely finding ammo where the bullet had either fallen back or out of the casing, spilling powder inside the magazines. Many of our officers were too lazy to check their ammo when they took the rifle on the streets so many of our rifles were loaded with defective ammo. When I tested the ammo against auto glass, none of the bullet made it to the geletin.

Do the research and find the ammunition that works best for your department needs. Make an argument that you can support and use your firearms trainers to help you push for better ammo. In a department where no decision is ever quick, when I pointed out the problems with the ammo we were using, it took less than a week for the department to order new ammo for all of our weapons.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I prefer a rifle. We have a 16" loaded with an HK mag loaded w/30 rounds of AE223 55gr. For me it's just better. It's easier to control for me or my wife, it has a mounted light.

I like 75gr & 77gr in 14.5" and less barrels but I think both might penetrate walls more than 55gr does. We live in a townhouse.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    the go to weapon in my apartment is the AR - i shoot it well, and my wife shoots it very well

She has never been comfortable with the shotgun, so the carbine is our choice.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harv
    So for me, the AR is preferred. I have spent a lot of time and energy trying to master it. For me it would be foolish to then rely on a Shotgun and waste all that practice and muscle memory.

My AR is more compact
    has a Day/Night capability
    much better ammo capacity
    way better ergonomics
    Much faster follow up shots
    quicker to reload
    recoil much easier to manage

I don't want to have to train on two different systems.
    Me, too. Especially when I to pay for all the training and ammunition for all the shooters in the household.

My Aimpoint- and Surefire-equipped M590 (one each) is for turkeys. That said, my last turkey was taken with a Kuehl .22 LR M4 upper with an Aimpoint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12