Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 and the Deputy

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jw0312 View Post
    I'm always a little jealous when I see a fellow LEO who is either given the option to carry his own 1911 or issued a nice 1911 for carry on duty.
    Only LEO I ever see carrying 1911's are the tac guys. I'm in the NE, so 1911 is almost as scary as evil black rifles and lacking the 14lb trigger and 97 safety features many of the LEO are stuck with in the region. Maybe there's some PD some place in the region with 1911's but I have yet to see to one.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Why would you automatically think that?

Stereotype I've developed over time. Not 100%, but close.

Casually ask 'em about their pistol. They get all puffed up and proud, and tell you about their "real steel 45" or some such nonsense.

Then watch 'em shoot. It's painful.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    1911s are making a come back in law enforcement in my area lately. I have no bad things to say about the 1911 but I don't think that some of the departments realize the work that is involved in keeping them running.
    When I see a guy with a 1911 on duty, I don't think "I hope he's a good shot with that" I think, "I hope he's got a good armorer".
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    Stereotype I've developed over time. Not 100%, but close.

Casually ask 'em about their pistol. They get all puffed up and proud, and tell you about their "real steel 45" or some such nonsense.

Then watch 'em shoot. It's painful.
    Do you think they'd do any better shooting a different pistol? If so, which one?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While there are cues, I wouldn't assume someone is switched on or off, had competencies or lacked them, by the gear they were carrying. There are bunches of clowns out there buying GTG gear from GTG vendors, without a clue other than knowing what's cool that day.
    Last edited by ST911; 09-16-12 at 22:46.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Had the honor of carrying a 1911 for 24 years. I had to earn that privilege. As I was retiring the new kids wanted to carry 1911s. The chief caved.

Some are squared away. Most weren't. They were a ****ing law suit waiting to happen. if your not going to put the time behind the weapon carry something else, it's in everybody's best interest.

DW

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

After I got out of the mil, I lived in Colorado and was working at a place where a pair of policemen walked in, one had a 1911 and the other a Glock. I asked them how they were doing and told the one officer " A 1911 don't see many LE carrying those these days." They walked in and talked to the owner of the place and the owner had mentioned that I spent some time in the mil. the Officer on his way out asked if I wanted to go shooting with them that weekend.
    Turns out he was a 20 yr patrolman by choice that was also on the SWAT team, had a local range membership and I could go with him every week he the team trained as a guest. I made a good friend that day all over a 1911.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Do you think they'd do any better shooting a different pistol? If so, which one?

No, they would suck regardless of what they were shooting.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    No, they would suck regardless of what they were shooting.
    That's the way I figure it too. The sight of a 1911 doesn't make them more or less likely to be a duffer. They just draw more scrutiny.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Not unless they lose the moronic ideals and start training.
    Last edited by Littlelebowski; 09-17-12 at 11:45. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast