Thread: SCAR 17 Trigger work

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

SCAR 17 Trigger work

Greetings,

My SCAR 17 factory trigger was stunningly rough at 8.9# and had enough creep to recreate pulling logs over gravel. I heard great things about the Geissele but they stated that it may be next year before they have another production run. (and they costs $400) I decided to give Bill Springfield a try at:

http://www.triggerwork.net/

The turnaround on his work was an amazing 2 days. Costs $80. The trigger now breaks at 4.5# and has minimal creep. It is quite smooth with a crisp break - just fine for a battle rifle. I've run around 120 rounds since receiving my trigger work and the primer indentations look normal, and the groups sizes improved as a result.

He promptly returned phone calls and emails before my order which is a plus from a CS standpoint. So, while this is just one guys experience, I thought I would share my positive results and two thumbs up for Bill Springfield's work on my SCAR 17 trigger.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for this report. I've never used Mr. Springfield's service and he seems to sometimes get a bad rap on this site. Having said that, I think that he is one of only two games in town if you want to improve on the SCAR trigger.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Feedback Score
    What could he have done to improve the trigger that much? I'm guessing changing and polishing an angle on the sear and hammer is it. Seems like if you studied the problem, had the patience to not try an do it all at once and possibly overdo it, that this shouldnt be that difficult to do from a theory standpoint...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would not do that. Cutting on stock parts is a bad idea.

Feedback Score
    I get that it may not be smart, disclaimer noted. I suppose my thought was that bill Springfield is not sprinkling pixie dust and saying abracadabra on these triggers to make them smoother or lighter. He must be doing something to them. I was more or less thinking out loud about what that possibly could be...

Feedback Score
    And high desert dog has hammers and triggers (not cheap) if you do booger it up....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    probably the same as any other trigger job - reduce engagement, and tune the angles so that there's no perceptible movement before the break. The problem is that most stock parts are not the same hardness all the way through, and cutting or filing can get through the hard layer and into the soft metal underneath. Then you have a great trigger for 500-1000 cycles, then it shits the bed when the exposed soft metal starts rounding off.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    A quick update. I'm now over 500 rounds with the SCAR 17 and the trigger is still GTG with no FTF. The trigger feels the same as it did when I first received back from Bill Springfield. Irrelevant, but took a nice 9 point whitetail that weighed 212# with the gun this week...can't say I ever felt the trigger...verfiy safe background, ear pro set, VX-6 red dot on the shoulder, safety off, boom.