Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New cover with lens caps for Aimpoint Micro

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

New cover with lens caps for Aimpoint Micro

Although not on the market yet, if this is something that you might be interested in the below Kickstarter.com link is worthy of a look.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ps-for-micro-o

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    interesting, I would consider buying.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I think the lenses would get in the way of your left eye sight, diminishing Some of what I think is the benefit of the smaller micros.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Neat idea but I'd much rather them flip down.
    Last edited by bp7178; 09-17-12 at 20:55.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Flip down was discussed on LF. the reason it wasn't adapted was the interference for those running a magnifier. As in all things; no perfect solution.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbeardsong View Post
    Interesting. I think the lenses would get in the way of your left eye sight, diminishing Some of what I think is the benefit of the smaller micros.
    In the video the guy shows that the lens covers snap together on the side.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Certainly handier than the OEM bikini covers. Looks like they thought of a number of considerations already...

Keeping the covers from obstructing views to the side (snap together)
    Having them open to the side (magnifiers, BUIS)
    Thick(er) hinges to prevent premature wear
    Accessible adjustment knobs, no removal required (though adj is infrequent)

I'd double check the most popular mounts for fit and clearance.

I've been running a T1 as my RDS for a few years now, and have had few issues with obstructed lenses. I could see these having some utility on vehicle-mounted guns sitting upright that might collect dust, debris, or prisoner "feedback". Also on motors and four-wheelers.

An orange cover to help further ID a LL shotgun. Or a blue one on a dedicated sims gun. Hmmm...
    Last edited by ST911; 09-17-12 at 22:05.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    HOLLER! Hi guys. A little loopy from getting this thing off the ground. This is my kickstarter project. Feel free to ask questions. You guys have hit on a lot of the issues and already come up with some of the solutions that it took me 3 years of futzing with this thing.

Down caps are good, until you try to use a magnifier. Or a low mount.

Side caps came about in response to magnifier use or AK use. The latest prototype that'll come out this week will pull the caps even tighter to the side when stowed.

Last edited by ruf; 09-17-12 at 23:21.

Feedback Score
    Quick background: The idea came to me while it was pissing rain at an EAG carbine class a few years ago. I ended up covering the optic with my support hand at low ready just to maintain a usable sight picture when on target. I ran into the same situation in Basic last year where I ended up using MRE toilet paper and 100mph tape to make an lens cover for my CCO.

The concept is to act as a functional cover for when the weapon is in use. The current bikini covers are a no-go as they are a slow two-handed operation with no retention. Just like the Micro is in an “always ready” state, the caps should be open and linked together out of the way in most ideal environments.

When the conditions turn nasty and most guys go home, the caps can be twisted apart and the lenses covered with one hand. If the opportunity presents itself, the caps can quickly be swiped open with one hand and the threat serviced. Even though they may flap around a little in the open position, they never move enough to impede the sight picture under recoil or movement or weapon orientation. Once there is a lull in the fight, they can be smashed together with one hand into the stowed position instead of hanging out in the breeze for the duration of the fight. Even so, I've beefed up the hinges and the underside as well as some other little detail changes. I’ll be posting pictures of the latest prototypes when I get them this week.

While this is intended as more of a patrol cover for inclement conditions, it could also do a decent job of keeping the lenses clear in a vehicle rack as some have noticed.

Here's a pic of the cover on a carbine.
    Last edited by ruf; 09-17-12 at 23:33.

Feedback Score
    What are the available colors going to be?

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast