Page 75 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast

Thread: Swiss SIG 553 pistols have hit the US market

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Or you could order a 551 conversion kit from JDI and piece it together yourself. The kit consists of a barrel upper with gas tube and handguards. Requires more work and the upper, lower, and bolt group won’t have matching numbers. Not ideal, but how badly do you want a 551?
    So I'd have a mix-master 551 and a bunch of 553 parts?

I'd be interested. For the right price. Like my mix-master M1 Garand.

Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    No that's lame. I'm thinking maybe a few importers off the top of my head might be interested in bringing in more SIG rifles.
    Concur. Super lame.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    So I'd have a mix-master 551 and a bunch of 553 parts?

I'd be interested. For the right price. Like my mix-master M1 Garand.
    Yep. One of my 551s is a non-matching parts gun. I still enjoy it and shoot it. Just not as collectible as a numbers matching gun.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Yep. One of my 551s is a non-matching parts gun. I still enjoy it and shoot it. Just not as collectible as a numbers matching gun.

JDI needs to really consider opening up the 551's again for import, otherwise there will be a line around the block of people wanting to buy from someone else. It's not like they'll lose value, I mean look at prices of HK 9X series- they went through the roof and they're relatively common.

Feedback Score
    Price is set by supply and demand. The WA2000 is the price of a cheap rental home due to so few being available and coupled with strong demand. If 500 WA2000 rifles were sold, it would not cost the price for a cheap rental home. It is the same situation with these eclectic items - a FAMAS and 360 Ferrari. The 360 Challenge Stradale (quite similar to the regular 360 Ferrari), has a significantly higher price due to lower production #'s and increased demand.

SAN cannot sell cheap 550's due to increased labor and production costs. A machinist in Switzerland will make more than a comparable worker from Romania or Bulgaria. In addition, in W. Europe the workers have increased benefits. If you want bang for your buck you should not pass up a Colt LE6920.
    Last edited by ralfabco; 08-21-18 at 22:41.

Feedback Score
    No one is talking about lowering the price. It's the numbers being limited. Even if they brought in a few thousand, the price would be the same and they would sell them all.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No that's lame. I'm thinking maybe a few importers off the top of my head might be interested in bringing in more SIG rifles.

JDI says they are the sole exclusive importer of Swiss Arms to the United States market. If that is the case and there is an exclusivity agreement in place, those importers are out of luck.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by peruna View Post
    JDI says they are the sole exclusive importer of Swiss Arms to the United States market. If that is the case and there is an exclusivity agreement in place, those importers are out of luck.
    I don't see them entering into a binding contract long term over such limited amounts especially given the size of this potential market. Either way, it's worth investigating for an importer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't see them entering into a binding contract long term over such limited amounts especially given the size of this potential market. Either way, it's worth investigating for an importer.
    Maybe, but I imagine JDI has invested a considerable amount of time and money into getting the various 55x series firearms approved by ATF for import as a pistol. I would bet this investment is protected.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by peruna View Post
    Maybe, but I imagine JDI has invested a considerable amount of time and money into getting the various 55x series firearms approved by ATF for import as a pistol. I would bet this investment is protected.
    I imagine the Swiss would welcome any new business.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 08-22-18 at 15:38.

Feedback Score
    I imagine the Swiss would welcome any new business.
    Well you are entitled to your imagination. The fact is that JDI has an exclusive importation relationship with San. That is for a period of time measured in years. That is simply a fact. Why would someone like JDI do all the work to get import approvals, all the marketing, inventory, website... to just have someone else import them too. Hence the exclusive.

I'm in the process of building a parts gun out of a barreled conversion unit. Collectible? Nope. But it still a Sig 551.
    Damien

If a large number of people are willing to kill you for saying something, then it probably really needs to be said. .

Page 75 of 98 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785 ... LastLast