G&R Tactical
Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 863

Thread: Swiss SIG 553 pistols have hit the US market

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,331
    Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    No sights.

    No mas.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    3,654
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by armakraut View Post
    No sights.

    No mas.
    Interesting that you would prefer diopters. I have four Swiss 55x rifles with diopters, one 556P SBR with diopter welded on, a 556 SBR converted to full 552 spec with a steel rail welded in place, a standard 556 with steel rail welded in place, and recently added one of these 553 pistols to the fleet. 100% of the time I would prefer the Swiss factory welded optic rail over the diopters. The fixed diopter sight is an anachronism on this rifle in my opinion. The rail immensely increases the utility of the 55x.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,711
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Interesting that you would prefer diopters. I have four Swiss 55x rifles with diopters, one 556P SBR with diopter welded on, a 556 SBR converted to full 552 spec with a steel rail welded in place, a standard 556 with steel rail welded in place, and recently added one of these 553 pistols to the fleet. 100% of the time I would prefer the Swiss factory welded optic rail over the diopters. The fixed diopter sight is an anachronism on this rifle in my opinion. The rail immensely increases the utility of the 55x.
    What is it the diopters with a B&T rail prevent you from doing vs. a welded rail with no sights?

    How is it any different from the add on diopter rear and hooded front sight on a 416?
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    2,331
    Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Don't get me wrong for 5k I'd want a rail, but for 5k they can put a rail AND diopters on there.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    3,654
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by armakraut View Post
    No sights.

    No mas.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    What is it the diopters with a B&T rail prevent you from doing vs. a welded rail with no sights?

    How is it any different from the add on diopter rear and hooded front sight on a 416?
    Diopter and B&T rail put the optic higher than I prefer and I also dislike the rear diopter in my visual field when using a non-magnified red dot optic. Just personal preference. I think it gives a wider range of options for optics. I tend to use Aimpoints almost exclusively if not going with a magnified optic.

    The difference with the bolt on 416 diopters is that they are installed on a rail and can be removed. I think this would be a nice option for the SiG, but their rail mount diopter sits higher than the standard diopter.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,711
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Diopter and B&T rail put the optic higher than I prefer and I also dislike the rear diopter in my visual field when using a non-magnified red dot optic. Just personal preference. I think it gives a wider range of options for optics. I tend to use Aimpoints almost exclusively if not going with a magnified optic.
    Yeah, I run into that on my UMP. I hate when things don't co witness. For awhile I used a 1" riser with a see thru just do I could use irons if needed, obviously that put my red dot a bit higher than I prefer.

    But if I'm willing to park an Eotech on my UMP or 551/552 rail it really doesn't sit very high and it obscures the irons completely so that would be more or less the same thing as a welded rail with no sights. I can't imagine the B&T sits more than a 1/16th of an inch higher than a welded rail on this 553.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    The difference with the bolt on 416 diopters is that they are installed on a rail and can be removed. I think this would be a nice option for the SiG, but their rail mount diopter sits higher than the standard diopter.
    Not to mention Swiss SIG doesn't make them and they are chinese pieces of crap. The Auroras were the best bet last time I looked and even they were a long way from the quality of the sights on my SIG rifles.

    I eventually arrived at the conclusion that an Eotech or Aimpoint on a QD mount is the best bet. That way if you red dot fails you can just dump the entire setup off the rail and proceed with irons. So far it hasn't been necessary.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The South
    Posts
    3,654
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Yeah, I run into that on my UMP. I hate when things don't co witness. For awhile I used a 1" riser with a see thru just do I could use irons if needed, obviously that put my red dot a bit higher than I prefer.

    But if I'm willing to park an Eotech on my UMP or 551/552 rail it really doesn't sit very high and it obscures the irons completely so that would be more or less the same thing as a welded rail with no sights. I can't imagine the B&T sits more than a 1/16th of an inch higher than a welded rail on this 553.



    Not to mention Swiss SIG doesn't make them and they are chinese pieces of crap. The Auroras were the best bet last time I looked and even they were a long way from the quality of the sights on my SIG rifles.

    I eventually arrived at the conclusion that an Eotech or Aimpoint on a QD mount is the best bet. That way if you red dot fails you can just dump the entire setup off the rail and proceed with irons. So far it hasn't been necessary.
    I mean the Swiss made rail mount diopter. Those Sig Sauer rail mount diopter rear sights are a joke; more fitting as a prize in an arcade vending machine.

    I agree on the QD mount.

    I do like the idea of a receiver with both the diopter rear and rail welded in place in front of the diopter. SIG brought in a few 552s configured as such.

    But honestly, I still just prefer the uncluttered welded steel optic rail with an Aimpoint T1 in a LaRue 416 height mount.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 09-19-12 at 03:42.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    14
    Feedback Score
    0

    Swiss Arms 553

    The Swiss Arms 553s that are being imported are current 2012 production. I have had the chance to work on 4 of these pistols. I have completely disassembled all 4. Do not kid yourself these are the real deal and no different from the preban Swiss rifles. I personally like the rail and it is a much better option than the B&T rail adapter because under high heat the B&T rail loosens up. The aluminum lower is interesting and very high quality it is the next evolution in the 550 platform. I think if you have ever wanted a Swiss 550 series rifle this is your opportunity. I will post some photos when I get a chance. Finally the barrels can be threaded for a flash hider but are very hard and not easy to do.
    David

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    846
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by STG77 View Post
    5k, wow that is pricey. I wonder if they are worth half the value of a pre 89 55x???
    5K! I am sure they are nice, but I don't think my wife would be too happy with me if I dropped that kind of coin on one of these.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,711
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    I mean the Swiss made rail mount diopter. Those Sig Sauer rail mount diopter rear sights are a joke; more fitting as a prize in an arcade vending machine.

    I agree on the QD mount.

    I do like the idea of a receiver with both the diopter rear and rail welded in place in front of the diopter. SIG brought in a few 552s configured as such.

    But honestly, I still just prefer the uncluttered welded steel optic rail with an Aimpoint T1 in a LaRue 416 height mount.
    I didn't even know such an animal existed.
    It's hard to be a ACLU hating, philosophically Libertarian, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, scientifically grounded, agnostic, porn admiring gun owner who believes in self determination.

    Chuck, we miss ya man.

    كافر

Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •