Page 69 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Thread: Swiss SIG 553 pistols have hit the US market

Feedback Score
    The receiver is the heart of the firearm. I'd like to see US made compliance parts first.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PGT View Post
    JDI has mentioned before offering US-made receivers for Swiss parts kits. No update on when yet.
    Otte was planning on doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    The receiver is the heart of the firearm. I'd like to see US made compliance parts first.
    I completely agree. What’s the upside to US receivers? I learned my lesson with the 556 - I’ll take all Swiss 55x. The only curiosity I have is in rolling and welding my own if there were flats/blanks available. But a US produced 55x receiver - pass.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 07-02-18 at 19:29.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PGT View Post
    JDI has mentioned before offering US-made receivers for Swiss parts kits. No update on when yet.
    I'd like to see just stripped receivers offered. That way, I can just spread out the amount of money I pay for actually getting a 55x and build as I can afford to buy each part.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I'd like to see just stripped receivers offered. That way, I can just spread out the amount of money I pay for actually getting a 55x and build as I can afford to buy each part.
    Except that you’re then skimping on a very important part - the receiver. You could just order an upper “conversion kit” fromJDI. This consists of barreled upper receiver, gas system, handguard. No bolt group or lower. $1650.

Better yet, just put money aside in a Swiss 55x fund, buy when you’ve sufficiently saved.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 07-02-18 at 22:10.

Feedback Score
    You will not save any money by putting it together piecemeal. A potential Frankenbuild with American and Swiss parts will never bring any type of positive financial return. A genuine Swiss-Made 55X has potential to increase in price - especially some of the boutique factory builds. Collectors will walk if the item does not have matching #'s. At the least, you should never loose a dime, if you patiently wait for a buyer who will pay market price, for a used CH factory-built product.

Special order a 553 LB and wallah you will immediately have a 'special' Swiss made 553, with low production #'s. Very few of these are floating around.
    Last edited by ralfabco; 07-03-18 at 16:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ralfabco View Post
    You will not save any money by putting it together piecemeal. A potential Frankenbuild with American and Swiss parts will never bring any type of positive financial return. A genuine Swiss-Made 55X has potential to increase in price - especially some of the boutique factory builds. Collectors will walk if the item does not have matching #'s. At the least, you should never loose a dime, if you patiently wait for a buyer who will pay market price, for a used CH factory-built product.

Special order a 553 LB and wallah you will immediately have a 'special' Swiss made 553, with low production #'s. Very few of these are floating around.

Why not just make some US made HTS, pistol grips, pistons, and flashiders. Should be enough parts with a stamped receiver.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Agreed on all points.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    Why not just make some US made HTS, pistol grips, pistons, and flashiders. Should be enough parts with a stamped receiver.
    You will get what you pay for. Some people do not understand why a modified sporter SAIGA does not bring the same money, as the SGL31-68.
    Last edited by ralfabco; 07-03-18 at 21:26.

Feedback Score

It's not about saving money. It's more about, shall we say, "financing" the build. I'm not going to have $3000 of disposable income anytime soon, so I wish I could buy all parts necessary and assemble them as I get them, the same way I do with my ARs. I buy quality parts for my ARs, and I usually end up spending between $1200 to $1500 by the time the gun is completed. I just don't spend it all up front.

In terms of collection, resale, matching serial numbers, etc, I couldn't care less, really. I'm looking to shoot and have fun with, and, being a rarer gun, it would be something I would want to keep in the family.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It's not about saving money. It's more about, shall we say, "financing" the build. I'm not going to have $3000 of disposable income anytime soon, so I wish I could buy all parts necessary and assemble them as I get them, the same way I do with my ARs. I buy quality parts for my ARs, and I usually end up spending between $1200 to $1500 by the time the gun is completed. I just don't spend it all up front.

In terms of collection, resale, matching serial numbers, etc, I couldn't care less, really. I'm looking to shoot and have fun with, and, being a rarer gun, it would be something I would want to keep in the family.
    Open up a savings account and instead of buying parts, pay into the savings account whatever money you would spend on parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 69 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast