Page 84 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Thread: Swiss SIG 553 pistols have hit the US market

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    http://www.swissarms.ch/en/sg-553-al-assault-rifle.php

Unless that's just the the lower they're referring to. Given the weight reduction, I was assuming it was both.
    It is just the lower. I have the alluminium and the steel lower for my 553, the difference in weight is noticeable. I dont think it would really be possible, engineering wise to use a non steel upper on this design.

Feedback Score
    I also agree that it wouldn't be possible to have a stamped aluminum upper of the same dimensions. It's likely just a case of their marketing people not being clear. The do have the steel lower version shown as well without the AL in the description. It's odd that they don't show the 550 and 551 with the same AL option as those are the versions that were recently imported.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAlsatian View Post
    It is just the lower. I have the alluminium and the steel lower for my 553, the difference in weight is noticeable. I dont think it would really be possible, engineering wise to use a non steel upper on this design.
    Okay, that makes sense. I believe SIG 551A1 was fully aluminum, so I wasn't sure if that was the case with this (only, obviously, WAY better quality).
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The KAC SLICK that was part of he SCAR trials was little more than a Sig 552 with a monolithic aluminum receiver. God I still want one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    The KAC SLICK that was part of he SCAR trials was little more than a Sig 552 with a monolithic aluminum receiver. God I still want one.
    You're in luck. JDI is importing a batch of 552's and you can buy an aluminum receiver off of their website.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    Okay, that makes sense. I believe SIG 551A1 was fully aluminum, so I wasn't sure if that was the case with this (only, obviously, WAY better quality).
    No, the 551A1 was a steel upper. Only the 522 had an aluminum upper.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post

Me too man. So beautiful.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    You're in luck. JDI is importing a batch of 552's and you can buy an aluminum receiver off of their website.
    Hard pass for me on a new import with JDI markings. The 552 operating system is inferior to that of the 553. It’s a neat reference piece for an advanced collector looking to fill an iterational gap. I’m fortunate to own one of the Sigarms import marked 552s that came out of NC ALE. The markings are what make it most interesting to me:
    “SG 552-2 SP Commando “.

I bought mine before any contemporary Swiss 55x imports were even thought possible. If I did not already own the 552 and if given the choice today, I would choose the 553 no contest.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 09-04-19 at 17:44.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I'm not a fan of the aluminum lower. I have 551-LB #49 and wish it came with a steel lower as it is front heavy and some extra weight in the back towards the receiver would help. This is with the stock attached as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot_man View Post
    I'm not a fan of the aluminum lower. I have 551-LB #49 and wish it came with a steel lower as it is front heavy and some extra weight in the back towards the receiver would help. This is with the stock attached as well.
    I assume you have a JDI one then. I think the SIG imported 551s had steel lowers as mine does. I think the alloy one was good for the 553 but I can see how a 551LB or 550 would be pretty muzzle heavy..

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAlsatian View Post
    I assume you have a JDI one then. I think the SIG imported 551s had steel lowers as mine does. I think the alloy one was good for the 553 but I can see how a 551LB or 550 would be pretty muzzle heavy..

Yup JDI import 49/51 and agreed on the 553. I might be getting a 553-LB and I'm thinking about just going with a steel lower for it as well.

Page 84 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast