Page 91 of 98 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast

Thread: Swiss SIG 553 pistols have hit the US market

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PGT View Post
    That's not my understanding at all from talking to several friends who are B&T dealers from when they first set up shop in the US but perhaps that's a recent thing. My B&T 45 can is twice as expensive and twice as loud as my TiRant-45. But I guess it has a cool logo on it.

But my info is dated and you would know better than me in any case.
    The B&T cans are definitely not great performers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PGT View Post
    That's not my understanding at all from talking to several friends who are B&T dealers from when they first set up shop in the US but perhaps that's a recent thing. My B&T 45 can is twice as expensive and twice as loud as my TiRant-45. But I guess it has a cool logo on it.

But my info is dated and you would know better than me in any case.
    My info is straight from the horse’s mouth.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralfabco View Post
    FYI

Sig GmbH (CH) does sell factory 553 conversion kits. Two part numbers exist. In this case you can have the best of both worlds - a 552 and 553. Horaaah.

Yes, you can have your cake and enjoy it.
    Sort of. I own a 552-553 conversion kit. It’s a “fix”, not ideal. The 553 is better. I keep my 552-553 conversion kit, because it’s a neat piece of kit and an essential collectible for a 552 owner. But it no longer resides in my 552.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tweakmeister View Post
    Got my order in and expected to get it in anywhere from 30-120 days. Really looking forward.

I ended up going Short barrel (SB) with gray/green furniture, 4-position gas valve and diopters for a more classic one as my first. In planning to SBR it, now the question becomes fixed or adjustable shoulder stock. On the MP5 platform I prefer the fixed stock and ability to get a nice cheek weld. Wondering from those who have tried both for their opinion of the adjustable if you can get your cheek on it.
    Congratulations! I personally prefer the folding/collapsing StG07 stock. You can get a proper cheek weld, it’s essentially the same as the folding stock. Buy both, see what you prefer, sell the one you like less...or keep it as a spare accessory.

Feedback Score
    Just to update, picked up the 553 today - thank you again to each of you for your insights. Grey/green with diopters. Sounds like the railed version is running about 3 months and the diopter 6 months. I learned that the diopters are less common on the 553 (outside of the US) given the ballistics of the short barrel - generally a red dot on the rail is good enough accuracy for the intended range.

Regardless I'm very pleased and impressed with the build quality and details. This is much more solid feeling than something like an AK and the trigger feels great too.

If I had to do it again, I might get the gray with black furniture but that's a relatively simple change. I'm very pleased with the diopters, especially if this is the only one I get. That being said, the trend to go purely railed / red dot makes a lot of sense too. I think if I had both I'd probably just grab the red dot one, hah.

Feedback Score
    A limited boutique 553SB run was available a few months ago mit diopters and rail.

No clue if any will end up on this side of the pond.

They will eventually reach for the low hanging fruit - imports.
    Last edited by ralfabco; 02-09-21 at 16:55.

Feedback Score
    A run of 551SB's with diopters and rails is going to be imported, so having the same on a 553 seems logical to me.

Feedback Score
    Was able to get the SG553 out on the range. On the 4-position gas valve, it would not cycle on 0.9. I needed to flip the valve to 1.2. I was shooting XM193.

I’ll get a picture up soon. I ended up mounting a Sig Romeo 5 (high mount) on a B&T rail and it lets you use both the red dot or diopters (through the bottom of the mount).

The gun ran great after fixing the gas issue. Trigger a little heavy on the take up but very clean breaks and could get 2-3 rounds off staying on target. The shells did remove a little paint outside the ejection port. Overall very solid and smooth feeling. A lot of fun.
    Last edited by tweakmeister; 03-22-21 at 08:17.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know how many rounds the recoil spring and gas valve last? Trying to figure out spare parts. Firing pin and Extractor spring?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tweakmeister View Post
    Was able to get the SG553 out on the range. On the 4-position gas valve, it would not cycle on 0.9. I needed to flip the valve to 1.2. I was shooting XM193.
    That sounds pretty ideal to me. Every Sig 55X that I have is over gassed on the lowest setting except perhaps my 553R.

Page 91 of 98 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast