Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 7.62x39?

Feedback Score

Which 7.62x39?

Been wanting to go shorter on an x39, and sold my 20" upper to get something smaller. Thoughts are sticking a pistol buffer on an unused lower, or using the same lower for the carbines.

The three used i am looking at right now are

AR15 performance carbine

M1S pistol upper

Alpha Shooting Sports midlength

Or, a new Model 1 sales, rguns.net etc upper, but no one seems to have anything.

My only concern is that the 11" may be unwieldy, and in case anyone is wondering, there are no plans for an SBR, but maybe a can. I am considering a 6.5G or a .308 based bolt action for longer range stuff. My thoughts were Grendel or bolt from the tree stand, and then the pistol/carbine for tracking or stalking.
    Last edited by Dust; 07-06-12 at 19:22.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I cant speak for ARs but i have an Arsenal SBR. 7.62, 8in barrel. No big difference in recoil from the standard 16in barrel.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    I second the Arsenal Bulgarian SBR 8" ^^^^^. Other than that I converted a Romanian Draco-C into a SBR.

Feedback Score
    I have considered the AK platform, but don't know if i want to add another manual unless going 16 or 11" will somehow kill the reliability of the x39.

Feedback Score
    Bring this back to the top. Been back and forth on the midlength or carbine length. What will the differences be for stability and reliability?

Feedback Score
    Add another contender

Bushmaster 16" flattop

It has the Model 1 7.62x39 enhanced firing pin installed, and the stock one is included. It has the ar15performance 7.62x39 super bolt, which was sent off to be NiB (nickel boron) coated. This is a very slick finish, and is easy to clean. Also included is a hammer and three extra 7.62x39 extractors that were all NiB coated as well. 6 (30) round mags w/ MagPul ranger plates, 1 (10) round mag, 1 (5) round mag. Two of the 30 rounders are ASC, the rest are all CProducts.

The nickel boron coating aside, it seems the sotaarms upper is cheaper being that I want a quadrail
    Last edited by Dust; 08-20-12 at 08:37.

Feedback Score

How about the PWS Mk114?

A great combination, AR platform & the AK round... with a long-stroke piston.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/v...&idcategory=15

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    A regular AR15 lower does not handle the steep taper of the 7.62x39 cartridge well. As the mag transitions from curved to straight ( to fit the lower), rounds tend to hang up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thumbs up standaed lower

Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    A regular AR15 lower does not handle the steep taper of the 7.62x39 cartridge well. As the mag transitions from curved to straight ( to fit the lower), rounds tend to hang up.
    gee: thats funny. mine has about 900 Rd's on it and is running flawlessly.

11.5" yhm bbl on a legal sbr lower. probably just out of spec.
    model i extended f/pin
    asc mags/ with some old c-products stragglers that got out before they went t--ts up.

havent clean it yet either.

l.o.l.

jjw

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been thinking this looks promising. I'm not a RRA fan but the fact it takes AK mags might make it reliable. Or........ Maybe buy the lower and use a better upper. IDK it's an idea though.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=558
    Last edited by TacticalSledgehammer; 09-18-12 at 04:32.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast