Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-SHTF Home Security/CCTV/Hardening

Feedback Score
    Some great information here, thanks for the links.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R.P. View Post
    My house got broken into Monday while I was at work. Bastards kicked in my door and ripped up my small pistol safe I had anchored under the bed which had a Glock 26 inside.

They first tried to enter by knocking a hole through a glass paned door but gave up when they discovered it had a double cylinder deadbolt and simply went around to the other door and kicked in the door jamb with a few kicks.

Harden your home by whatever means you can afford. Trust me, it is worth every penny.

It sucks getting broken into.

They always head right for the master bedroom first and this is why you have to be very cautious to were you store those firearms.

One has to become creative when concealing/camouflaging firearms in the bedroom because the bad guys know most of the common hiding spots and will flip beds, furniture, pictures on walls and empty boxes in the closets.

I have some ideas but they are not simple and requirer installation and since I wish to keep these hiding places off the radar I will not post them in a open forum.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    They always head right for the master bedroom first and this is why you have to be very cautious to were you store those firearms.

One has to become creative when concealing/camouflaging firearms in the bedroom because the bad guys know most of the common hiding spots and will flip beds, furniture, pictures on walls and empty boxes in the closets.

I have some ideas but they are not simple and requirer installation and since I wish to keep these hiding places off the radar I will not post them in a open forum.
    I debated adding that at the beginning of the thread. Maintain security-consciousness. It doesn't take that much to figure out who you are IRL, and if you showed your entire security setup you might as well have put out an advertisement for Burglars Wanted.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    I debated adding that at the beginning of the thread. Maintain security-consciousness. It doesn't take that much to figure out who you are IRL, and if you showed your entire security setup you might as well have put out an advertisement for Burglars Wanted.
    This extends to your current status as well.

One big risk is social media like FaceB**k.

I can't tell you how many people post up mobile pictures from their first day on vacation in Florida.

This is a screaming red flag to anyone switched on, but the soccer mom club is totally oblivious to the risks.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    This extends to your current status as well.

One big risk is social media like FaceB**k.

I can't tell you how many people post up mobile pictures from their first day on vacation in Florida.

This is a screaming red flag to anyone switched on, but the soccer mom club is totally oblivious to the risks.
    Yup. Unreal.

Feedback Score
    Alarms mean nothing more then limiting the time inside the home a burglar has if your not at home.

I have seen this play out numerous time and the game is simple.

Internal sounding alarm only,
    Bad guy waits until the alarm company calls the home to verify if the alarm was tripped by the owner and if there is no response the police are contacted.The bad guy knows once the call comes its now time to hurry up and grab what ever he can and leave before the police respond. Always have the alarm company call the police directly as soon as they receive the alarm and not call to the home.

External sounding alarm,
    The bad guy will only hit the sweet spots such as the master bedroom and any bedroom which appears to have a female in it. They are in and out in less then 3 minutes with mostly unsecured small items.

Also bad guys will remove the meter head to cut the power then cut the phone and cable lines to knock out the phone service before entering the home. Most alarm companies delay contacting the police on power failures or phone outages and will most likely try secondary contact numbers or key holders allowing time for the bad guy to shop inside your home.

Door locks don't really deter entry so much on a weak wood jam frame or a cheap hollow core entry door were a simple shoulder or kick will defeat both easily. People never think to close ventilation windows especially if they have pets or at night while sleeping which allows access inside the home. Bad guys will also push in a window mounted A/C unit or remove the vertical slats of a crank open door or window for simple entry.

Physical deterrents such as steel doors on steel frames with the excellent Schlage Primus High Security Cylinder System stops kick ins and lock pick attempts. Closing and locking windows with inside mounted half window grates stop these easy entry locations and the correct security gates or folding scissor grates for sliding doors protect those areas.

Don't forget second floor windows as bad guys will climb onto porch roofs or even use a ladder you left laying unsecured on the property to gain entry.

Your best bet is lots of lights, no hidden windows do to bushes or small trees and front and rear external sounding alarms (Min 140 DB) and a alarm system which has a long term battery back up and a cell line dialer to call out if the phone line is cut. Just a little work and common sense can make your home a hard target and as difficult as possible for the bad guy to make a easy score.

Most people make it easy for them selfs to become victims and with just a little work the bad guy will look for a softer target.
    Most burglaries are crimes of opportunity. For those the best defense is deterrent. No open windows or unlocked doors. Keep the garage door closed. As stupid as it sounds, having visible cameras and signs help. I know, it's pretty dumb to have an ADT sign stuck in your front lawn, but a lot of criminals will see that stuff and just move on. Don't keep things like ATVs, snowmobiles or RVs parked in the front driveway. Keep them behind fences. Next step, good security doors and yes, window film. A bad guy that's brave enough to try to get in after seeing warning signs and cameras will probably head somewhere else when he tries to kick in the door or break a window and can't gain access. That coupled with a siren and a floodlight would make MOST people take off and look somewhere else.

Having said all of that, if someone is determined to gain access to your specific place for some reason and they are reasonably experienced, they can defeat almost any security measures if they have the time.
    Last edited by Awesome1228; 09-24-12 at 14:33. Reason: Spelling Spazzes

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Damn it. Very sorry to hear that. Can you tell us any more (door construction, house construction, etc.)? Did they get anything else?

No alarm, I take it?
    No alarm. Solid brick home built in the early 50's. Steel entry door was the one they kicked in. The wooden door jamb was the weak link where they got in.

I am in the process of reinforcing all the door jambs with steel.

They also took a laptop, flat screen TV, some of my wife's jewelry, and a jar full of around $100 worth of coins.

Hindsight is 20/20, now I realize our home was easy prey. Like I said earlier, no alarm, no dog, etc.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

You hit the nail on the head. The Glock in the safe under the bed was there for the "bump in the night", and for my wife when she was home by herself, and locked in the safe to keep little fingers and hands from touching it.
    Oddly enough, that gun was my ccw about 50% of the time. Earlier that morning, I opted for my J frame instead.
    I have already came up with several ideas for other hiding spots, and I respect your perspective of not giving your spots away and neither would I to anyone but my wife or a close relative in case of an event involving my wife and I to perish or be incapacitated due to a car accident or something of that nature.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I thought about this during my previous post without reading as far along as your post. Thats one reason why I have never posted pics of my weapons setups on line.

The incident that happened at my home was probably a quick ordeal, in my summation less than 5-10 minutes.

I am concerned if this group of individuals might come back b/c there were other "items" that if taken would be a devastating loss.

Thank God for my ____. The glock was the only gun taken b/c it was not in my main ___ _____.

I actually may take this post down in the next couple of days b/c that is how paranoid I am right now.

Thoughts anyone?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    www.doordevil.com
    Zip-tie your garage door safety latch
    Security film the windows
    Invest in a solid companion/defense dog

Just my .02
    OIF/OEF vet (Ramadi/Hit & Ghazni)
    Former Army infantry squad leader
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    NR-EMT