Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 870 build

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

870 build

How feasible is it to build an 870 from a stripped receiver? I just finished my first AR and was looking to get a Remington 870, either Tactical or Police. But I noticed stripped receivers available online and after watching a couple Youtube videos it looks like something that might be pretty easy. A quick look and Brownells seemed to carry most parts needed. Has anybody done this?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've never done it myself, but I have a buddy that did a few. He did it for learning purposes and told me after the fact that it actually cost him about the same price as a new shotgun, but that the trial and error alone was worth it. Good luck and be sure to let us know how it turns out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, that's pretty much the reason I want to do it as well. I know more about how my AR works than any of my other firearms because I put it together myself. And I think you are right on the price thing too. (but if you buy it piece by piece it does not seem like you are spending that much money )

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another cost to figure into the equation is specialized tools needed to build the 870 from scratch. Ejector and shell latch staking tools for instance.

It's a project I've considered as well. I love my 870's.

Feedback Score
    I'd like to build one too, but think it would be cost prohibitive to do. My 2 cents ...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdain View Post
    Another cost to figure into the equation is specialized tools needed to build the 870 from scratch. Ejector and shell latch staking tools for instance.

It's a project I've considered as well. I love my 870's.
    It seems the ejector and shell latches are factory installed.

My brother called me earlier today and said he bought a "870 something", I told him to come over after work. Going to be sure to take take it a part as soon as he gets here.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well then, it's not quite a stripped receiver. Now we're talking about a trigger group, side saddle (would include trigger group pins), barrel, magazine spring and follower, action bars, and furniture. That's a pretty simple build with very little room for error. Go for it! And post pics.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personally, I'd just buy a used 870 and modify what you want.

Especially with the Express models, the actions break in beautifully after a good bit of use.

Plus, they can be obtained quite cheap....and theoretically you can sell off whatever barrel or parts you don't want anymore to help fund the new parts.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RC51_Texas View Post
    I'd like to build one too, but think it would be cost prohibitive to do. My 2 cents ...
    exactly
    when you can get an 870 "tactical" model at wallyworld for $350 why look anywhere else?
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...-tactical.aspx
    i like dating homeless girls.
    when you're done with them
    you can drop them off anywhere

Colt 6920(x2, soon to be 3), Glock 30s (×2), gen 4: 19,21.
    m70ab2 u/f, wasr

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by filthy phil View Post
    exactly
    when you can get an 870 "tactical" model at wallyworld for $350 why look anywhere else?
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...-tactical.aspx
    You guys are right. I went with my brother yesterday when he picked up an 870 "tactical" and I do not think there is anything I need other than that. I guess I will pick one up also and use the money I saved from building one and get it Cerakoted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast