Thread: "Low Recoil" Load Equivalent

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

"Low Recoil" Load Equivalent

I am in the process of converting a 11-87 that I have owned for a long time into a HD/"Tactical" gun. It started off as a 11-87 Premium with a 26 inch pressure compensated (.116" dual gas ports) vent rib barrel, which I have had shortened to 18-3/4" with the RemChoke re-installed.

On the first range test today, it cycled the Remington Dove/Quail low-base load (2-3/4", 3-1/4 dram, 1 ounce of #8 shot) prefectly. Knowing that actually trying one of the low-recoil 00 buck loads from Federal or Remington will be the final proof, does anyone know if the "birdshot load" it functioned with today is equivalent in terms of gas pressure/recoil impulse to the low-recoil 00 buck loads? Based on the info I've been able to find, this seems to be a good indicator that the gun will handle the lighter loads without difficulty.

I also shot some Federal Premium P154 00 buckshot (00 copper plated, non flight control wad) today and as expected, it cycles without a hitch. With an improved cylinder choke installed, it shoots an 8" tall by 4" wide pattern at 50 feet, which I'm looking to tighten up, thus my interest in the low-recoil rounds which supposedly will pattern tighter.

Any insight/load recommendation for tighter patterns is appreciated!
    Last edited by Canonshooter; 09-23-12 at 11:01.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If your semi-auto is cycling low base birdshot, trap loads, training loads, etc, it will likely handle the low/reduced recoil buck and slugs as well. Test fire to verify, esp as the gun fouls and burns off lube.

If you find that your 11-87 has a higher functional threshold, there are gas system mods described here and elsewhere that can help.

I use and recommend the Federal LE loads with FCW. There are several threads with pics of the patterns various posters were getting.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks.

I'm ordering some gas system parts, specifically extra o-rings and the seal activator for the 11-87 3.5" magnum. The gunsmith I'm working with stated that the gas ports may need to go to .120" for 100% reliability with the low-recoil 00 buck rounds, but I decided to give the current .116" ports a try first.

Here is a chart that has the port sizes for various Remington barrels;

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional...ton58_1100.htm

Of note is the the 21" (non pressure compensated) slug barrels have smaller .083" ports which is no doubt the reason they can only be used with full power loads.

My goal is to have reliable function with the low-recoil rounds while still having the ability to use the full-power 2-3/4" loads. This barrel at 26" functioned with anything I ran through it so it will be interesting to see how it does at 18.75 inches. I'll be ording a sampling of the low-recoil 00 buck rounds to see how it does and which pattern the best.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights