Thread: Back to Bino's

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Back to Bino's

i'm probably going to invest in some good binos very soon. i'm considering these companies, steiner, zeiss, or leica. my budget is around 500$ atm. so i recon leica is about out of the picture, these would have to be waterproof and i dont know much about power's either. anyone got any suggestions or recommendations?
    "Unfortunately 87.26% of the quotes and statistics on the internet are lies." - Abraham Lincoln
    Stupid should hurt
    I carry a gun cuz cops are too heavy!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i have read that several times, i was hoping for a few more opinions and he basically says leica is the way to go. looking at their specs and reviews i would agree but my budget is around 500 $ and thats pushing it.
    "Unfortunately 87.26% of the quotes and statistics on the internet are lies." - Abraham Lincoln
    Stupid should hurt

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Stupid should hurt

Feedback Score
    tinman44, do you need them to be small and light, or can you use something a little on the larger/heavier side than those Zeiss' binocs that you linked to?

The 10x30 size is a very good size for your pack or range bag. But, it would be better if you could go with something bigger than a 30 mm objective. It will let more light in, and you can see more clearly. If you do the math, a small increase in that number (the diameter) will still give you a large increase in the size of the opening (the area). As an example, the opening (area) for a 40 mm objective is not twice as large as a 20 mm objective. It's 4 times as large. So, even going from a 30 mm objective to a 40 mm objective will let in about 78% more light. That's a lot.

FYI, I like 8x over 10x because it's easier to hold them steady and see details. But, that's just a personal thing.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    yeah these are mostly just scout/range bag binos. i will get a spotting scope when i get a spr.
    Stupid should hurt

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that at least some Steiners have some type of coating that makes image contrast very good, but slightly changes the colors of some things. But, I think this is just on the medium and larger ones. Also, for image quality, my understanding is that Zeiss is much better than Steiner.

One random thought, I like twist up or pull up eye cups (to adapt to situations when you do or don't have glasses on) instead of rubber eye cups. I don't have any experience with the Zeiss Conquest but, it's safe to assume they are excellent.

From what I know, you generally get what you pay for with binoculars. You're smart to stay away from the cheap ones. I'd suggest trying a few different ones before buying. Or maybe buying a few different ones with the understanding that you are going to return all but the one you keep.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    they are just so d@mn expensive. if i go after the Zeiss i want my wife will demand i take it back and buy her a tennis bracelet.
    Stupid should hurt

Feedback Score
    If you're in the market for a full-size and your budget is the $500 range, take a serious look at the Pentax DCF SP series.
    I've spent a lot of hours behind a lot of glass these are hard to beat for the price.
    No, they won't beat out $1000+ glass, but they are the closest I've found in the mid-priced range. I've had mine for close to 9 years now and have used them anywhere from mulies in Montana to two-legged snakes in 'Stan to site surveys in Vietnam. Zero eye strain and no fogging problems.

If you're in the market for a compact, keep in mind those little objective lenses will be a disadvantage in low light conditions (i.e. dusk and dawn).