Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PIG FDT-Alpha Glove Review

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

PIG FDT-Alpha Glove Review

I was fortunate enough to pick up some PIG gloves from SKDtac. SKD's always sold me good gear, and their editors' picks and in-house PIG gear are universally considered GTG in my book.

This is PIG's Full-Dexterity-Tactical Alpha glove. The Goal, according to Military Times, was to produce a glove that gave a gloveless, "bareback" feel. And this glove delivers.

Preliminary Impressions
    Out of the box, I noticed that these gloves were *very* unrestrictive. Whereas other gloves tended to tighten-up when I made a fist, the PIG's articulated joints made it very easy to make a fist. The tactile feedback even with these gloves on was excellent. Indeed, wearing these gloves, I could even type, with minimal difficulty. Other gloves tended to be too thick and clumsy to allow me to type. As far as I can tell, there's only about one layer of clarino, a synthetic leather, in the palm and fingers of the glove.

In dry-firing my Glock, I had no problems feeling the shot breaking, or working the reset.

In the Field

So how do these gloves hold up to actual use? There were reports dinging the gloves' durability, and they are true--to an extent. I recently went through a couple weeks of training, and primarily carried the 249. Not exactly a melt-treated weapon. Instead of a VFG, I used the bipod as my foregrip, so suffice to say the PIG suffered a lot of abrasion.

In the field, I wore the PIGs almost 24/7--I often fell asleep wearing them, since I forgot I had them on. I also had the opportunity to use the PIG during a bad down pour, with no issues. The Clarino seemed to take on water, and the gloves remained wet until we returned to garrison.

In every day use, the glove did a good job of protecting my hands. I could pick up splintered wood, go prone in a rock pile, and generally go 'hands-on' without fear of jacking up my palms. The micro-suede thumb was also great as I frequently used it to wipe my face.

As far as durability goes--the padded knuckle portion on my right hand began to fray on the first day, and frayed further as I used them. This is about the extent of the fraying, and I don't expect it to get any worse. Except for this specific part, the glove did not suffer any further abnormal wear.

During a simulated FOB attack, my 249 suffered an extremely bad malfunction. Upon opening the feed tray, I noted that I had 2 rounds plus a link jammed in to the chamber. However, in the dark, wearing these gloves, I was able to remove the barrel, pull the stuck link out of the chamber, reinstall the barrel, and resume firing. I'm fairly certain that, but for these gloves, pulling out the stuck link would have drawn blood.

Likewise, I was able to link loose 5.56 blanks in the dark--the tactile feedback of these gloves are unparalleled.

However--the trade off is in protection. I wore these gloves during an obstacle course, and due to the single layer of clarino, I would hesitate to use these gloves for things like rappelling.

Finally, the vent holes in palms and fingers helped drain water when it rained--but during normal weather, my palms would feel extremely dry, as the holes permitted moisture to escape.

Final Verdict

For $34.95, these gloves are definitely worth trying. I tried the Mechanix MPacts, but the palm padding made it uncomfortable to carry my wearpon. I think the biggest downfall would have to be durability, as 2 weeks worth of use should not result in such heavy fraying. Nonetheless, these are my "go-to" gloves, and when Skdtac sells them again, I will definitely pick up another pair.

Hope this helps people who're contemplating purchasing tactical gloves.
    Last edited by Kchen986; 09-29-12 at 16:49.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Owning or having a certain by-name or by-brand weapon doesn't make one a trained assaulter.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

PIG Gloves

Thanks for the great review. I read awhile back that PIG was going to start offering these gloves but somehow missed that they were available. I will definitely order some to try out.
    When did you get yours?

Feedback Score
    I can't believe I miss this one. Great review.

We should have the gloves back in towards the end of October/ Early November.

SOS
    With Skill, Knowledge & Determination, YOU WILL PREVAIL!
    Join our Facebook Fan Page for Specials, Updates and Discounts!
    Questions? m4c@skdtac.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have these gloves and they are GTG
    Director of Marketing at Griffon Industries

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    SKD please keep me informed. I need some gloves real soon. Will you do pre-orders?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by k9barco View Post
    SKD please keep me informed. I need some gloves real soon. Will you do pre-orders?
    Count me in too, seems to be a very good pair of gloves for daily police work for me ( when roughing people up a little )
    Everybody wanna be like mike!

Feedback Score
    I've always considered gloves a "use" item. At 34 bucks a pair as long as they last a few months of moderate use its good enough for me. I'll go through 2-3 pairs of gloves a year depending on classes and other jobs. I blew $100+ on some Oakley's a few years ago and they lasted a whole month before they fell apart.

Feedback Score
    our philosophy is pretty much the same. Gloves are an expendable item. Until some sweet tech comes out like gloves that rebuild with small nanotech, then the ration of strength to dexterity will always be the killer. Dexterity in our eyes is paramount to weapons manipulation.

SOS
    With Skill, Knowledge & Determination, YOU WILL PREVAIL!
    Join our Facebook Fan Page for Specials, Updates and Discounts!
    Questions? m4c@skdtac.com

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    nice review

Feedback Score
    I want a pair. Hey SKD, do you make them in other colors- like OD or black?

The Sandbox, 2001-2006
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother-- Henry V

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast