Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The new Mini 14s

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

The new Mini 14s

For when you don't want to be seen with a "scary" rifle.

What is the reputation of the improved Minis?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    It is lot better than the one I got in the 90's. The best group that I ever got from it was 4 MOA using a scope off a bench rest using match ammo. The new model - I regularly shoot 3 MOA using XM193 using iron sights off a bench rest. Which was good enough for my needs - a PC ranch rifle while running around my hunting land.
    I had reliability issues with the 1st one. However, they were due to the use of aftermarket mags during the ban days. The new rifle( using Ruger mags only) has been 100% reliable for the 1500 rds fired so far.
    I haven't tracked the forums on the rifle for a while, but there were reports of firing pins breaking. It appeared at the time to mainly be the Mini-30 firing steel case ammo.

However, lately I have gone back to carrying my BCM Midlength M4. I feel that it is a far superior rifle. With AR's becoming the most popular selling rifle, the PC factor is becoming less of an issue.
    Last edited by cqbdriver; 09-30-12 at 07:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Data and experience is slow flowing. Few are shooting them to any meaningful extent. On the LE size, they have largely been exorcised. Ruger's efforts to get back in are half-hearted. Sales are sluggish in most markets due to competition with lower end ARs. One of the big attractions of the Mini used to the be the price point. It wasn't an AR, but you weren't paying AR prices for one either and could get a stand-by rifle. That gap is closed to "why bother" range.

My limited experience with the newer version(s) is slightly better than the earlier. The 16" barrel is less prone to heat and wander. Accuracy and consistency were better but I don't recall the numbers. I believe they were 1/4-1/3 better or so. The balance of the gun remains largely what it is, so spare bolts or internals for same are advised.

Others wringing them out report that the newer are better, but they are still not a GTG AR.

As always... For best results, keep them lubed generously, shoot domestically produced, .223 Remington spec ammunition, and use OEM 20rd magazines.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    The fact that Ruger now sells an AR is telling. No one except a very small segment of ranchers wants one. For the barrel profile, they're certainly too heavy.

If I wanted a "PC'ish" rifle, I'd get a slick top AR and throw some laminated wood furniture on it with a 5-10 round mag, with a bag full of P-Mags to back it up.

Feedback Score
    A Mini 14 can get away with a synthetic stock look, but wood on an AR15 is just butt ugly imo.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    If Ruger ever expects to get into the "tactical" market with the Mini-14, they will need to adapt it to take AR mags. I cant justify adding a .223 non AR platform rifle that takes different mags...and is a sub-par performer.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    [/IMG]

What is the reputation of the improved Minis?
    What's actually been improved?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I put myself through the Ruger Mini-14 Armorers class when I was with my old agency so I could speak from a knowledge base when discussing / advising the Mini vs. the AR. We had a bunch of Mini-14’s and a few AR’s back then. After attending the Armorers class I will never endorse the issuing of the Mini-14 as an agencies primary patrol rifle. We engraved the bolts and trigger groups with the rifles serial number so that we made sure to put the right parts back with the right guns. This was done to ensure that head space and other specs stayed intact. These guns do not like to be mixed and matched. The factory recommended tools and gauges are numerous and expensive. The instructor was very squared away and did a great job with the class.

The current guns have better barrels. The profile was beefed up which helps. The 16” barreled guns were always more accurate. To the point that if you have an old one have a gunsmith chop and crown the barrel at 16” and your accuracy will increase (statistically). This has to do with barrel whip and heating, do your own research. I have heard that other upgrades where made but I have no idea what they are other than the rear sight. These upgrades only came after Bill Ruger died allowing the company to move forward. These changes should have been made decades ago.

Factory mags are the only way to go. We had a lot of issues with none factory mags with department guns. The only non-factory mags that worked well were the old Thermolds. The guns themselves ran great. You pull the trigger and it went bang unless the mag failed you. The rear sights did not do well bouncing around in a rifle rack in the cars. The reason we had the Mini’s was that “It looks like a normal rifle” and “We can get two for the price of one AR”. My old agency traded in all their Mini’s for S&W AR’s a few years ago. They got a good deal and are very happy now.

CA Highway Patrol had the Mini-14 in the early 90’s for just a few years and then ditched them for AR’s. I never asked what issues they had with the Mini’s but I know that they got rid of them quickly.

CA Dept. of Corrections has used the Mini for a long time. I got to check out their armory at their academy one time. They had a purpose built transit chest just for Mini-14’s. They had so many going down on a regular basis that they just got the chest and when it was full they sent it to Ruger for repairs. Ruger did back the guns and fixed them. Cracked receivers seemed to be the main reason they were sending them in for repair if I remember correctly.

If I had to buy a Min-14 I would only buy one of the new Tactical Rile versions that come with a 16” barrel, what appears to be more durable rear sight and Ranch Rifle receiver. I would only run factory mags with US produced ammo.

That’s my $.02 for what it’s worth to you.
    LE Firearms Instuctor - Handgun, Rifle, Shotgun and Automatic Weapons.
    LE Factory Armorer: Colt, Beretta, Glock, Remington, Ruger, SIG, S&W, Springfield Armory.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    What's actually been improved?
    Um well I guess I should have said "new version"...
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    Larry Vickers weighed in on the Mini in a recent thread and didn't have anything good to say about it.

"A big 10/22" and "fine as a plinker" was the verdict.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast