Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The new Mini 14s

Feedback Score
    Being in CA, the Mini-14 is one of the rifles I've chosen to train with when taking carbine classes in state.

I have an AR (Colt 6920SP) but using it here comes with some inherent frustrations. I can run it like an AR is meant to be but then I have to use a BulletButton and 10 round mags which affects my ability to practice reloads and malfunction drills properly. It also means I spend more time reloading mags than shooting.

I can run it featureless but then I have to run it without a pistol grip and almost need an ambi-safety to properly operate it in any of the "featureless" configs. The plus is I can use my pre-ban mags to have higher capacities than 10 rounds. Still less than ideal.

As I have a stock of pre-ban Mini-14 mags and the Mini is "featureless" out of the box I have also chosen to train with it as a defensive carbine here in CA.

I have a newer 581-series currently that I've run through about 3 local classes with no issues. Each class was about 500+/- rounds a day. In each of the classes I've never had an issue, the gun has always run smoothly. My groups at 100 yards run around 2-3" on average and I can ring steel consistently at 200. The only work done on it has been a trigger job.

I have a red dot on mine as well as have replaced the rear sight with a Tech-Sight. It feeds steel cased fine but I mainly stick to brass cased ammo, both .223 and 5.56mm. I only use Ruger OEM mags for reliability. I basically operate it somewhat like an AK.

Is it a combat weapon? Yes and no. I wouldn't want to be somewhere like Afganistan and have it as my primary rifle long term. For my purposes with the legal limitations here it works fine but its not my primary SD/HD weapon either, I have handguns for that.

If I could have an unneutered AR I more than likely would use that more but for my situation (being here in CA) the Mini-14 makes sense as a defensive tool.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Icculus View Post
    I've always wanted a mini as it has that somewhat classic look and in some ways is kinda like a baby Garand--or as somebody said a big 10/22.
    I think of the Mini 14 as a more powerful cousin to the M1 Carbine.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I've had a 586-series ranch rifle (18.5" plain barrel, stainless, synthetic stock) for a couple years. I bought it at a time when I was gung-ho on the M1A and wanted a cheaper practice option, and for any situation when it would be appropriate to carry a rifle but an AR15 was likely to attract unwanted attention.

I hardly use it. It's been reliable in limited use. The rifles I actually like to shoot are ARs, FALs, and AKs, in that order. I keep it because resale would be mediocre and it's perhaps less likely to be banned in the future, although my view of that is changing to think that no ban is likely, and any ban that comes about will just ban all semiautos period.

Field stripping and reassembly is clumsier and more involved than I like (note my favorites above) and the gas system design is just plain crude, a pale imitation of the M14 design.

If I remember correctly, the major upgrade was with the 580-series, with all new tooling and various minor improvements. The 586-series was an additional upgrade to a barrel that was both heavier and tapered at the gas block area, with a significant improvement in accuracy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA_Shooter View Post
    If I could have an unneutered AR I more than likely would use that more but for my situation (being here in CA) the Mini-14 makes sense as a defensive tool.
    I agree. I keep one around just for this purpose.

Crossing the Noobicon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    I think of the Mini 14 as a more powerful cousin to the M1 Carbine.
    That's the smartist thing I have ever heard about the Mini 14 !!!
    IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT ! DON'T LOOK AT IT !

Feedback Score
    The mags are so expensive compared to an ar though. It's 3-1 where I live.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've seen maybe ten go through classes over the last 6 years.

I've gaged maybe 3-4 more besides those and had reports from guys that gaged them. All gaged 5.56 except maybe one reported to me, despite all being marked .223-- just the opposite of the AR scenario. One Mini owner opined that this might be for export purposes-- exporting Mini's maybe is easier if they say ".223" instead of something ominous and scary like "5.56 NATO".

Saw AC556's in Mexico and either Panama or Colombia, not sure which, quite some time ago. I don't even remember why I thought they were AC's, I don't think I got close enough to tell. I might have asked one of the guys.

The ones coming through classes, honestly, all worked flawlessly, these are 900-1200 round classes. They always seemed louder-- maybe it was because there was no flash hider.

They were very inconvenient on day one for getting the guns zero'd. Two different styles of rear sight, neither one very positive or easy to adjust, and requiring tools. Didn't like that.

Sorry to say accuracy would not have been proven or disproved in these classes-- we do go out to 300M on pop-ups but that's not very conclusive in that department.

Definitely not as modular and accessory-ready as an AR if that matters.

Reliability though was totally there on this small sample.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234