Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tough, professional looking watch

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    LOL, I posted the same thing. Great choice. That would be on the short list if I could just kill my Tag F1 to justify another watch.
    I really like what I read about Sinn. I love the way they look. Just out of my price range this day in time, Maybe in the next few years!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    LOL, I posted the same thing. Great choice. That would be on the short list if I could just kill my Tag F1 to justify another watch.
    Ha! You have excellent taste. Watches are as bad an addiction as firearms. My taste has run to divers over the years, but lately I've been tempted to branch out. I have a pair of Omegas (a Seamaster and a DeVille) as well, but I keep thinking about getting another Sinn. Or a Speedmaster...
    “Shooting a gun projects your personal will across time and space in a flash. I want to hit that and that is hit. Straight from your mind to the physical world. Talk about your PowerPoint presentations.” --Don Winslow, Savages

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You didn't specify a price range....I'd recommend Rolex for rugged/dressy/professional without the "grrrr" factor.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by youngAR View Post
    $3k or less. Water resistance isn't important and like it to not be a monster of a watch. Most watches I've seen of late look to be around 50mm or so. I'm not Flavor Flave or Paul Bunion dang it! Thanks for the help so far!
    He did, but still if he shops diligently enough could find a Rolex Submariner or GMT possibly

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    He did, but still if he shops diligently enough could find a Rolex Submariner or GMT possibly
    Good point. I always forget about used watches as I just don't like used stuff as a rule (call it a failing on my part), but there's a ton of good used watches at that price in the used market.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Not sure of your budget but its hard to beat a Submariner. Great watch for anything from a day at the range to a black tie event. They are reasonably priced and always hold their value in the event you want to upgrade it. Buy once and you will have it for your lifetime and some...

This one is 16+ years old.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quartz has batteries to change, but as a rule, tougher, more accurate, and less $$$. So, if you really beat on watches and or need very precise time, quartz may be best choice. My daily "beater" watch is a Tag F1 quartz, and my fancy "power" watch a JLC auto.

I'd give an actual $$$ range. Tags can range a lot.

For a really tough, good looking, well made watch in the mid Tag price range (approx 4k), there's nothing I know of that's built from the ground up to not just look tough, but be ultra tough like the Bremont MBI/II:

http://www.bremont.com/chronometers/range/mb
    Handsome watch. What's the story behind the ejection seat criteria on the MBI?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    Handsome watch. What's the story behind the ejection seat criteria on the MBI?
    Martin Baker makes injection seats, so only those that have actually been ejected from one can own the MBI. The MBII is for the rest and noted by slight differences in look, etc. Bremont specializes in ultra rugged watches marketed to mil pilots, and others in need of watches that exceed specs for ruggedness. I don't like their other styles personally, but I'd get the MBII in a heart beat if I was looking for a new watch in that price range.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Martin Baker makes injection seats, so only those that have actually been ejected from one can own the MBI. The MBII is for the rest and noted by slight differences in look, etc. Bremont specializes in ultra rugged watches marketed to mil pilots, and others in need of watches that exceed specs for ruggedness. I don't like their other styles personally, but I'd get the MBII in a heart beat if I was looking for a new watch in that price range.
    Interesting, I have never heard of them before. I really liked the look of the MBII. Maybe I'll flip my Breitling Montbrilant and move into one of those.

To the OP:

I forgot about the Sinn's. I don't have anytime with one but know some guys that have them who are very pleased. They appear to be a very well made watch at a great price!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    Not sure of your budget but its hard to beat a Submariner. Great watch for anything from a day at the range to a black tie event. They are reasonably priced and always hold their value in the event you want to upgrade it. Buy once and you will have it for your lifetime and some...

This one is 16+ years old.
    I've had this old red-letter Submariner since I was in college in the 70's - it functions flawlessly. The Daytona is about 15 years old. Both have been rugged and utterly reliable, and keep excellent time. They've met my every expectation for an EDC watch. The only caveat I can think of regarding the older Submariners is that the acrylic crystal scratches easily (although also easy to polish out with Dremel and some jeweler's rouge). In about 1981, Rolex went to sapphire crystals in the Submariner. The argument is scratching the acrylic (especially the date window) vs shattering the sapphire. Personally, I have never worried about shattering the crystal and prefer the sapphire.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast