Thread: 11-87 HD Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

11-87 HD Build

I purchased this 11-87 Premium new with a 26 inch, vent rib/pressure compensated (.116” dual gas ports) barrel nearly 20 years ago. Though it got some use early on busting clay pigeons, it has been mostly a safe queen. Recently, I decided to do something with it – build it into a home defense SG.

One of my goals was to maintain a traditional, “non-tactical” look. The finish on both the metal and wood remains a pleasure to look at, though I did take down the super-gloss finish that came on the wood with some fine steel wool. My other goals were to modify it for the intended purpose – shorten it and make it as reliable as possible with my 2-3/4” loads of choice.

The mods so far include the following;

- Shortened the barrel to 18-3/4 inches and re-installed the RemChokes
    - HiViz CompSight PM1002 - Competition Shotgun Sight (same as used on the 1100 Tac4)
    - Cut the stock down to 13” LOP and re-installed the original Remington butt pad
    - Choate 2-shot magazine extension
    - Dave’s Metal Works Easyloader
    - Vang Comp dome button safety
    - Remington Seal Activator Ring
    - Brownells stainless steel magazine follower

Here is how it stands currently;

I will be installing a CDM Gear BMT Clamp to mount my Surefire X300 on one side and a QD swivel on the other, and the GG&G QD Rear Sling Attachment and use a 2-point Vickers sling, the same setup I have on my AR (I figure consistency is good).

Range Test

With a fresh o-ring and the seal activator installed, the Federal PD132 00 buck load cycles perfectly with strong ejection. Even the softer-shooting Remington 8-pellet, 00 buck “Managed Recoil” load cycles without a hitch, though the ejection is not quite as strong as the Federal load. Based on my testing thus far, the Federal load has been 100% functionally reliable and I have no reason to believe it won't remain that way.

As expected, the Federal load with its Flight Control wad produces tight patterns. At 50 feet, the load patterned at 4 inches or less with an improved cylinder choke installed – one shot put 8 pellets in a 2-inch group. The load cycles the action briskly with strong ejection, but yet is easier to shoot than the Federal P154 00 load I’ve used in the past (the P154, non FC wad load also has over double the spread at 50 feet).

I also have a 21 inch rifle-sight slug barrel (.083” dual ports, non-pressure compensated) for the 11-87, and it always shot Federal Premium P127RS Hydra-Shok HP slugs very well. To my delight, the “new” barrel shoots them extremely well too, producing a 3-inch, perfectly centered group at 50 yards. It’s great to have one barrel shoot both the reduced-power 00 buck and full power slug loads well. The vent rib with HiViz sight gets on target very fast yet offers good precision for slugs.

So far, so good. Once I finish this project I will post some more pics.

Update 9/2013

Here are the photos showing how the SG is currently set up. The rest of the thread provides the details;

Last edited by Canonshooter; 09-01-13 at 08:59.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights