Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 11-87 HD Build

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for sharing your work. I've got an 1100 that I've been itching to play with. Maybe now is the time...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    Not much into the "fit and finish" dogma but DAMN, there's something about a richly blued gloss finish mated with good wood that speaks for itself. Very, very nice. Great job.
    Thank you, much appreciated!

With 1 inch off the stock and the barrel cut to 18-3/4" the handling difference is amazing. This SG went from a forgotten piece in the back of the safe to the go-to long gun front spot, to be used in a home defense emergency.

Of course my 14.5" BCM LW midlength with TA33-8 ACOG is within easy reach too, but that is now designated as more of a mid-to-long range tool.
    Last edited by Canonshooter; 10-23-12 at 17:39.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    Really nice work. Glad to see the finished product.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

A few tweaks...

Update 1/13/2013

Made a few minor changes based on use.

I was using the GG&G QD mount that is placed between the front of the stock and the rear of the receiver. This is a top-notch, high quality product that is certainly up to the task of holding a heavy shotgun, even using a single point sling. In fact, for a single point sling, this product is an excellent choice.

That said, the positioning of the mount using a 2-point sling wasn't quite right for me. It worked, but it didn't work as well as I thought it should. Plus, it did add about 3/16" to the LOP, which while not a big deal, I could notice. So I spent some time searching the Web looking for ideas on how others are using a 2-point sling with their shotguns and came across this video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHN80q2aiI

I experimented with this on my 11-87P, which was already set up with an attachment point on the stock, and found it worked much better than what I had set up on my 11-87 HD Premiere. I thought having the SG hang upside down would be an issue, but it is not. In fact, it makes reloading from the belt easier as the SG is held in the perfect position for doing so. Additionally, shouldering is actually easier with the sling attached to the stock. Here is the new arrangement;

Also as you can see in this photo, I reinstalled the stock bolt handle. I very much like the Choate with its larger handle, but I found it pulled out of the bolt a little easier than I thought it should. I did try modifying the notch in the Choate bolt but it was still IMO too easy to pull out. I will probably try a Daves Metal Works bolt handle next.

Finally, I switched the CDM Gear BMT mount so that the light is now on the left side. I find this arrangement MUCH better, using my thumb to activate the light. With the new rear sling attachment point, having the front QD socket on the right has posed no problems.

And finally, a shot of both the 11-87s. The 11-87P does have a swivel stud in the stock but it was out when I took this photo. This photo also shows the difference in LOP between the standard length stock on the 11-87P and the shortened wood stock;

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    That is a really nice, tight, clean build!! Well done!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by S391 View Post
    That is a really nice, tight, clean build!! Well done!
    Thanks!

My old eyes can pick up the green HiViz front bead quickly, and the sight is dead-on with the loads I use. It even does well with slugs.

However, I struggle using the small rifle sights on the 11-87P. I may update those to the XS Big Dot sights since I don't plan on doing any long range precision work with it. Only other mod planned for the 11-87P is a GG&G bolt handle.

Just as an FYI, my "go-to" loads for both of these are two Federal reduced recoil loads, the LE132 00 buck (9 pellet) and the LE127RS 1-ounce slug. These loads function perfectly in both SGs and are a pleasure to shoot. For more demanding applications, I keep some Brenneke Short Field Magnum 1-1/4 ounce slugs handy as well.
    Last edited by Canonshooter; 01-13-13 at 18:02.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Very well done. This is the kind of thing I see lots of us doing now that some of our other favorites are all sold out! I think I will stick with 870 though but there were a few beat up Remington autos at the LGS the other day. I will have to give them another look. I was actually looking for an 870 in 20GA for myself. I'm always looking for 870's to save!
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    Very well done. This is the kind of thing I see lots of us doing now that some of our other favorites are all sold out! I think I will stick with 870 though but there were a few beat up Remington autos at the LGS the other day. I will have to give them another look. I was actually looking for an 870 in 20GA for myself. I'm always looking for 870's to save!
    Thanks for commenting!

I too was in the hunt for an 870 when I came across the new 11-87P a few weeks ago. With no 870s to be found locally (I was looking for the synthetic 7-shot to use as the base for a new build), the 11-87P proved too hard for me to resist...

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I'm going to give the semis a look. I am a little hesitant just because I don't know them as well. One of the guns I wish I had back is a LT20. Sweet gun, light and fast. The other is an Ithica SKB also a 20.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I'm going to give the semis a look. I am a little hesitant just because I don't know them as well. One of the guns I wish I had back is a LT20. Sweet gun, light and fast. The other is an Ithica SKB also a 20.
    A youth model 11-87 in 20 gauge, with 13" LOP and 21" vent rib barrel would be sweet. Wilson has mag extensions and Brenneke has these.
    Last edited by Canonshooter; 01-13-13 at 19:12.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast