Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why non latex gloves?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the patient just as susceptible to the latex as the wearer?
    No, repeated exposure is a component of latex sensitivity, so health care workers, who wear gloves a lot, are more likely to develop issues than patients.

Certainly, the general public can be latex sensitive, but the incidence is less than 1% as opposed to health care workers where the incidence of latex sensitivity is 10% or greater. Anaphylaxis in both groups is rare. Latex-sensitive health care people who wear latex gloves are far more likely to get local skin reaction of varying severity.

The current crop of sterile gloves for OR use tend to be mostly some sort of vinyl rather than latex. Those gloves, for that purpose, are pretty good these days and most surgeons find them to be perfectly acceptable or use in the OR where tactile sensation is obviously very important. At our facility, we went through endless trials of various brands before we found one that was acceptable to all the surgeons. They are substantially more expensive than latex, however. Another component of the rising cost of health care. Exam gloves, however, such as the ones in boxes on the wall in ERs or patient exam rooms are usually pretty bad. For that purpose they're usable in most circumstances. They're primary advantage is that they're cheap.

Feedback Score
    So what is the preferred glove, nitrile or what? Brands would be helpful for those with experience with them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by unclerandy View Post
    So what is the preferred glove, nitrile or what? Brands would be helpful for those with experience with them.
    My stock is all nitrile, extended cuff, bright colors. Thickness ranges from 5mil to 10mil or so. There are various brands, no preference.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Another consideration is that latex gloves are susceptible to attack by atmospheric oxygen. It's annoying to pull on a glove that falls apart on your hand.

Probably more of a consideration for people that carry gloves a lot more than they use them.

H

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    Also, latex gloves are porous at the microscopic level. And it's reactive with certain chemicals. Nitrile is non-reactive. I found out the hard way when my gloves melted on a patient we pulled out of a drainage tank at an oil refinery.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Sensicares for me. Which, ironically, are latex free. But they don't bunch up on your fingertips when your hands get dirty.
    Last edited by bullittmcqueen; 10-05-12 at 13:36.

Feedback Score
    Should proper fit be quite tight?

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    It should be snug. Tight will act as a compression dressing on your hands. Makes the gloves easier to rip during flexing or use. Also can make your hands numb or interfere with your sense of touch after a bit. You want snug like a good shooting glove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I know a number of people in healthcare with latex allergies; I'm not sure I've met anyone not in healthcare who reacts.

I like latex gloves fine, except they deteriorate as noted, and often don't seem as durable as nitrile. You may lose a tiny bit of tactile sense, but the confidence in protection makes up for it, IMO.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like nitrile, at least 5mil.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast