Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why non latex gloves?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FeltaDorce View Post
    I would presume that it is because it traps the allergen partially under the glove... I don't know, I'm not my medical doctor.

That being said, I appreciate what I got from this website, and I do bow out. This place should be a case study for misanthropy. I wish you all well, good luck to you all. Shoot straight and often.

Thanks again, Felta.

As a Medical Doctor, I have not heard of latex actually increasing or changing molecular compounds with relation to toxins. I will actually look into this today as I know Helsinki Hospital in Finland recently did a case study on allergenics with a scope on latex vs synthetic. Obviously any allergen could be trapped under a latex or synthetic glove if proper safety and sterility is not practiced. I think you might be referring to the pourus property of latex and the notion that this pourus structure may HOLD chemicals. However, any glove be it latex or synthetic is designed to keep solutions away from your skin, and the dirt, sweat on your hands out of the patient. So in my opinion I truly see no way that because an allergen is trapped within a glove that it will transpose to a patient. This is something I have never heard of but will read up on it, and post a definitive peer edited answer to this question regarding toxic and molecular compounds being altered by latex.

Stay Safe All.
    That Others May Live
    S-G-M 09032012

Feedback Score
    Thanks man. I will be sure to call him up and let him know that HMAC, internet super operator, questions his medical opinion. I am certain that he will be relieved to have become informed.

Seriously though. Thank you all.
    "We must surrender our attachments to government in every aspect of life. This goes for the right and the left. We need to give up our dependencies on the state, materially and spiritually. We should not look to the state to provide for us financially or psychologically.... Let us understand that it is far better to live in an imperfect world than it is to live in a despotic world ruled by people who lord over us through force and intimidation. - Dr. Ron Paul

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks man. I will be sure to call him up and let him know that HMAC, internet super operator, questions his medical opinion. I am certain that he will be relieved to have become informed.

Seriously though. Thank you all.
    so...bullshit then?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This misanthropy you were talking about.....

Feedback Score
    We have pretty much gotten rid of all the latex we can in the OR where I work.

I have the pleasure of being allergic to the hypoallergenic gloves that replaced the latex gloves. It is actually 2 chemicals used in the making of the gloves that I am allergic to. Carba Mix, and Thiuram mix. I'm not allergic to latex.

The surgical scrub soap chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG) makes my arms look like I held them in boiling water.

The hardest part is when I'm at a Dr's appt, or in the ER, is keeping the nurses/LPN's/techs etc from putting CHG on me.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Just to follow up on what someone else said about bright colors, this is very good advice. The FD where I work ended up getting a batch of black nitrile gloves a while back. The major problem, as we soon found out, is that you can't see blood on them very well.

Also if you're anticipating having to use them outdoors where it's hot, go ahead and put two pairs on if you think you'll go through one pair and need another. Once your hands start sweating, it's much easier to peel a layer off than to put a pair on. If you do have to don a clean pair over your sweaty hands it will help a bit if they're not too tight.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234