Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shovel? And other tools

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree with going for the fold down shovel though they can be pretty heavy! As for a hatchet Gränsfor Bruks is what I would go with. If taken care of it should last you for generations.

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/prod...folding-shovel

http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/pro...dmarksyxa.html
    "If man does his best what else is there?"
    - George S. Patton

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    If one keeps an eye out on ebay, you can find a Granfor Bruks or Hult Bruks axe or hatchet. I snagged a GB axe head for $21, and a HB hatchet head for $6. The stamps werre there on the heads, the guy just did not know what he was selling.

A good replacement hickory handle is about 15 to 20 dollars.

I'm a fan of using cutting tools like most guys use golf clubs. I have saws, hatchets, axes, etc. But for all arround use, it's hard to beat a good axe. You just have to know how to use it correctly and safely, or it can kill you.

On the shovels, I have an old folding entrenching tool in the car, and a plastic trowel for camping or hiking.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I just watched a couple videos of the Cold Steel Special Forces shovel...looks pretty good and versatile...feedback?

That is a cheaper knock-off of the spetsnaz (saperka) shovel I was referring to above.

When I say cheaper knock-off, I don't mean to imply it is cheap or junk. While it resembles the original and is otherwise well made, it is different steel (supposed to deflect bullets), and lacks some of the original features. Such as the axe edge, nail remover and some versions a saw edge and a crude protractor for navigation. The original is somewhat heavier than the cold steel version due to the denser steel used in the making.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I cheat and use my 12 inch modded Ontario machete for digging. Soft earth in Indiana and little to no hardwood lets me use it for multiple uses: digging, processing firewood, feather sticks, chopping brush...heck, I've even used it to field dress game.

Feedback Score
    I don't have extensive experience but I've really been pleased with the East German folding shovel (e-tool) with the pick on the back. You can lock the pick and blade at 90 degrees; having these options helps. (Use the pick side to loosen hard earth). I doubt you could break the pivot pin; it is heavy duty all the way. Also heavy though.

I'm going to try a CS special forces shovel next.

If you ever spend the money on a Gransfor hatchet, a few years down the road you won't care what you paid for it. They are that good. Having said that, someday I'm going to pick up a made-in-Finland Fiskers or Gerber. I've read many good things about them.

Feedback Score
    I use a shovel I've had for years. It doesn't fold but has about a 32" handle. I strap it to the outside of my ruck and carry it in my trapping packbasket. I've used etools for years as an infantry and they suck! Whether trying to dig a fighting position, chisel away at hard soil, or fill sand bags you always fight it. The hinge and threaded tightening band both get stuck and full of debri. They often become lose at the hinges. All they are good for is a makeshift toilet seat.

As for a hatchet, I went thru the same battle looking for the right one. Spend the money and get a quality one. I've bought estwing's, gerners, friskars...none satisfied me. I spent nearly a hundred bucks on this one and love it! I find myself creating more work for myself just so I can use it. Not sure of the name since its german made but any of the sites provided above have quality lines...Good luck
    ABOVE THE REST_____________________CURRAHEE
    1/327th INF 101st ABN_______________1/506th INF, 101st ABN
    OIF 1 2003/2004._____________________OIF 3 2005/2006

Feedback Score
    My preference is for a real shovel rather than a folder. If I was backpacking it I would not have anything larger than a trowel. If it is in the truck I will have the d handled shovel.
    I have folders and use them but always find myself wishing for a real shovel when I'm doing anything more than pitying dirt on the camp fire.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    For a small portable digger, you want a Lesche. I have used the Lowes version and it just doesn't compare. The Lesche is expensive for what looks like a common garden trowel, but it really will outperform the rest. (Predator tools are the same thing.)

http://www.colonialmetaldetectors.co...Tool_p_27.html

http://www.predatortools.com/
    The model 85.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tinfinger View Post
    I don't have extensive experience but I've really been pleased with the East German folding shovel (e-tool) with the pick on the back. You can lock the pick and blade at 90 degrees; having these options helps. (Use the pick side to loosen hard earth). I doubt you could break the pivot pin; it is heavy duty all the way. Also heavy though.

I'm going to try a CS special forces shovel next.

If you ever spend the money on a Gransfor hatchet, a few years down the road you won't care what you paid for it. They are that good. Having said that, someday I'm going to pick up a made-in-Finland Fiskers or Gerber. I've read many good things about them.

Any source and pics for this East German folding shovel with pick? I thought Gerber used to, or possibly still does make a NATO entrenching tool that also had the pick spike on the reverse side of the shovel spade?
    Does anyone know how many Gerber shovels are made? I've seen several over the years.
    Also, where is a source for the true authentic Spetznas shovels guys?
    "ROLL RIGHT SNIPER!"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I own the Gerber NSN folding shovel and the Glock folding shovel. IMHO, the Glock wins only because it has a saw in the handle. If we were just judging the tool as a shovel, I would say the Gerber would win. The Gerber is heavier, but Grunt-proof. Also, the saw in the Glock shovel's handle cuts fast and clean.

I have been meaning to pick up a couple of the Cold Steel reproduction WWII style E-tools with the small wooden handle.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12