Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Hatchet" book series by Gary Paulsen

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

"Hatchet" book series by Gary Paulsen

I'm "reading" (listening to in the truck on my work commute) the 4th book in this series. Borrowed from the local library. I have to say, it's pretty enjoyable for fiction and somewhat thought provoking. Anyone else read these?
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've read Brians winter and the first Hatchet, it's been years though. I wasn't aware there was a whole series relating, I might have to check them out. I also really liked The Frog by Gary Paulsen, it is about a young man who inherits his uncles sail boat and gets sucked out further into the ocean than anticipated due to a storm and how he had to survive and find his way back home.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Wow, I haven't even thought of that book since it was required reading in 5th grade.

I liked it back then, but that was over a decade ago and my memory of the book consists of a light aircraft, a heart attack, a windbreaker, a hatchet, a porcupine, and a decently happy ending (rescue).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Wow, I haven't even thought of that book since it was required reading in 5th grade.

I liked it back then, but that was over a decade ago and my memory of the book consists of a light aircraft, a heart attack, a windbreaker, a hatchet, a porcupine, and a decently happy ending (rescue).
    same here, I read it in 1993!
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing lunch, Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by karmapolice View Post
    I've read Brians winter and the first Hatchet, it's been years though. I wasn't aware there was a whole series relating, I might have to check them out. I also really liked The Frog by Gary Paulsen, it is about a young man who inherits his uncles sail boat and gets sucked out further into the ocean than anticipated due to a storm and how he had to survive and find his way back home.
    I'll have to check out "The Frog."

I called it the "Hatchet" series because there are 5 books now:

1) "Hatchet"
    2) "The River"
    3) "Brian's Winter" (alternate sequel to "Hatchet" where Brian doesn't get rescued as quickly and finds his way out)
    4) "Brian's Return"
    5) "Brian's Hunt"
    Semper Paratus Certified AR15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post

Dude you arent lying....havent thought of that book since like 6th grade, whoa.

sent from my overcompensation tool known as the galaxy note

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Read hatchet and the river in the 80s. Great stuff.
    "After extensive research, I picked this rifle because it came with bullets"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another good one is "Guts" which is about his experiences and adventures.
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like to go back and read them every couple of years. It's interesting how my thought process and appreciation of things has changed as I get older and reread them.

When I was a kid I was enamored by the freedom aspect of the books, living alone, just you and nature, like camping, but I knew more than he did about outdoor survival when I first read it. I figured there would be no way I'm make the stupid mistakes he did, no way I wouldn't have a fire immediately, etc.

As I read them again throughout my teenage years up through my 20's to present, I've noticed my mentality towards him has changed. I considered myself lucky that I had those outdoor skills early, but I really started questioning the mental aspect of it and how I would have dealt with it were I to be in a similar situation. It's just interesting food for thought, the way your opinions of things evolve as you're dealing with the same material from a different perspective each time.

As for the second book, he was just a freaking idiot. He should have died. I thought that then and I still do to this day.
    I'm not cool. I just do this stuff for fun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do you mean "The River" or "Brian's Winter"? And why do you think that?
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast