Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Many Shootings Have There Been Today?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Bell View Post
    This will happen more and more. As people lose faith in the government as being a neutral arbitrator in problems, and decide that the government is the problem. This guys brother stated the his brother knew who the targets were, he eliminated their security and took them out.

We have been joking, darkly, that the shooting is about to start due to government over-reaching for years. Looks like we are there.
    When I first read your post, Nate, I thought you were making a bit of a stretch.

Re-reading it, I think you're absolutely spot-on.

In kind of a parallel, yesterday morning I had The HVAC Wizard come out to get the heat back on in our house. As we were settling the bill in the kitchen, we both stopped to watch the TV news summary of the various incidents. Commenting on the classroom stabbing in Portsmouth, which is just south of here, I said, "What kind of nutjob does that in front of a bunch of schoolkids?"

The HVAC Wizard, who's 60-ish, deadpanned, "Time was, nobody killed their wife in public."

He was serious and, I think, pretty insightful.
    KintlaLake
    KintlaLake Blog

"Blasphemy is an epithet bestowed by superstition upon common sense." (Robert Green Ingersoll)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Safetyhit View Post
    Not trying to nit-pick, but this is an extremely broad statement. Many of these shootings are totally unrelated to government arbitration. And I can't recall a time when our government was deemed more fair than it is now, those things have always come up.

My assessment is that the media, via Hollywood and crap like MTV promoting trash values, coupled with the increasing economic woes cause this type of behavior to increase.
    Really?

McCain-Feingold, illegal alien invasion, PATRIOT Act, Kelo v. City of New London etc, etc, etc.

Presidential approval ratings have certainly dipped this low in the past (Truman), but has faith in all the branches of government simultaneously dropped so low? Ever?

The entertainment industry certainly bears a (small) share of the guilt in creating a couple generations of overall useless, self-absorbed idiots, but I don't think anybody can rightly blame violence and the general state of extreme disillusionment on them.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmanfms View Post
    Really?

McCain-Feingold, illegal alien invasion, PATRIOT Act, Kelo v. City of New London etc, etc, etc.

Presidential approval ratings have certainly dipped this low in the past (Truman), but has faith in all the branches of government simultaneously dropped so low? Ever?

The entertainment industry certainly bears a (small) share of the guilt in creating a couple generations of overall useless, self-absorbed idiots, but I don't think anybody can rightly blame violence and the general state of extreme disillusionment on them.

Listen to yourself, man.

Five women were shot in a clothing store days ago, a teacher is shot in front of her students yesterday by a jealous/angry husband, over 400 people were murdered nearby in Philadelphia last year, countless other recent incidents and on and on. The vast majority were likely over money, jealousy, anger and stupidity. We have an established culture today that doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground, but they can tell you that fifty cent was shot however many ****ing times and who won American idol the past five years.

Yes, it is far more than the government. Rather than sound like someone suffering from anti-government paranoia try to grasp the facts.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Feedback Score
    Listen to yourself, man.

Five women were shot in a clothing store days ago, a teacher is shot in front of her students yesterday by a jealous/angry husband, over 400 people were murdered nearby in Philadelphia last year, countless other recent incidents and on and on. The vast majority were likely over money, jealousy, anger and stupidity. We have an established culture today that doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground, but they can tell you that fifty cent was shot however many ****ing times and who won American idol the past five years.

Yes, it is far more than the government. Rather than sound like someone suffering from anti-government paranoia try to grasp the facts.

We are a violent culture. Look at our most popular sports: Football, NASCAR, Basketball. The fans will say no its is to see the well executed play, pass, pick and roll. This is crap, they are the same as the bloodsport of the Romans, except that we discovered you can build an industry on them if you don't kill half the contestnats every week. Look at the movies, games, and books that generate huge money, you will find conflict in all and in some absurd amounts of violence.

Now remove the bone deep belief that there is a right and a wrong. that you will suffer eternal torment if you murder someone.

Add that to the fact that the government is less and less by and for the people and you get what we got in Kirkwood. A guy who did not have all the brakes against violence that a civilized society needs and he had his mini-revolution.

Random thoughts on the subject

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Obviously all here agree that guns are not the problem it is the people that misuse them. Having said that, the anti gun media floods the news with only the bad gun stories, never the stories where a life or lives are saved. This is so that the public will swallow the crap that they want to shove down our throats. My opinions about V for Vendetta aside there is an interesting part where the Prime Minister of Brittan tells the head of the media to remind the public why they need the government. In the very next scene all of the people are watching shootings, natural disasters, wars and all the shit of the world. I think this is more and more appropriate the more I see of the news
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score

Right back at ya champ:

My assessment is that the media, via Hollywood and crap like MTV promoting trash values, coupled with the increasing economic woes cause this type of behavior to increase.
    You really should listen to yourself, man:

You actually believe that violent crime is spiking because of MTV?

Nevermind the FACT that violent crime rates including murder have been on a steady decline for the last 40 YEARS. Was the higher violent crime rate of the 1950s and 60s because of MTV and Hollywood "trash values" too?

I politely request you REREAD my statement and EXACTLY to which part of your post I was responding.

NOWHERE in my post did I state that the up-surge in violent crime seen over the last two years (or even the recent spate of mass shootings) is because of disillusionment, I simply stated that your assessment of the overall view of perceived governmental oppression and disenfrachisement was incorrect and that the media has NOTHING to do with it.
    Last edited by Redmanfms; 02-08-08 at 20:30. Reason: Facts for grasping.....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    And I can't recall a time when our government was deemed more fair than it is now
    Not what most people around here think. But then again we are not in NJ
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

Feedback Score
    All these shootings are giving us (gun owners) a bad name. If this keeps up, soon we will be branded as criminals just because you own a firearm.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ddemis View Post
    All these shootings are giving us (gun owners) a bad name. If this keeps up, soon we will be branded as criminals just because you own a firearm.
    Will be? I have been told by many," that people who like guns should have their head checked or thrown in prison. " People like that just are not going to be confused with facts either.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    Not what most people around here think. But then again we are not in NJ

Well I don't know where you are, but if you live near almost any large urban area you should know what I am talking about.
    "Facit Omina Voluntas = The Will Decides" - Army Chief

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast