Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle sweeps

Feedback Score

Muzzle sweeps

So I take a lot of new people shooting and make sure and go over the 4 rules. I also make it point to go over muzzle control and common mistakes that lead to pointing guns at people, reloads, malfunctions, etc. For a while it seemed like some people just didn't get it and no amount of correction would fix the muzzle sweeps. So I adopted a new rule from IDPA sweep yourself or some one else and your done for the day. This has made a huge difference.

Now here is the question. If you have your rifle slung and bend over to pick something up and the muzzle sweeps someone is it still a muzzle sweep? I have been treating it as one and even got called on doing it myself.
    Last edited by alvincullumyork; 10-07-12 at 15:28.
    Die living

Feedback Score
    if there is a person behind the muzzle or the weapon is moving under the direction of a person and it is not in a carrier or holster it is a muzzle sweep.

the old 'over the shoulder' carry can be pretty iffy as folks consider it "holstered"... its not. even when carrying it over the shoulder I keep it on a very short leash and am very conscious of the muzzle direction.

of course I keep my guns loaded and ready when carrying so I dont have to "pretend" that it's loaded or dangerous.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Easy fix for a slung rifle and sweeping when picking something up, is to simply kneel instead of bending at the waist.

A muzzle crossing me is sure as shit sweeping, whether it's slung or holstered I don't really care.
    OEF X-XI

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    thats how we do it on a USMC range..no bending over..kneeling only keeping the butt stock at the 6 o'clock at all times when not actively shooting..
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood for something, sometime in your life.----Sir Winston Churchill

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabhailGadhar View Post
    thats how we do it on a USMC range..no bending over..kneeling only keeping the butt stock at the 6 o'clock at all times when not actively shooting..
    Really? Damn.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That's a good rule. It's one we follow when we're doing CCW classes.

I had a girl point a pistol not 14 inches from my face a couple months back.

If it happens to me or the other instructor, they forfeit that class and have to sign up for a later date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
    Really? Damn.
    Yep. It actually makes since if you think about it. 100 people or so milling around with a about 100 or so rounds a piece picking up brass after every string of fire. With probably ten coaches/instructors total to monitor. First time they're logged as a safety violator, second time they are booted from the range. The highest level you can achieve is a marksman after that regardless of how you shoot and in the Corps that directly effects promotion and retention. We do not play with dumb ****s and loaded weapons...
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood for something, sometime in your life.----Sir Winston Churchill

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCmJUnKie View Post
    That's a good rule. It's one we follow when we're doing CCW classes.

I had a girl point a pistol not 14 inches from my face a couple months back.

If it happens to me or the other instructor, they forfeit that class and have to sign up for a later date.
    Where do you teach at? My buddy lives near Walensberg, he'd probably sign up for one of your classes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you watch any of my shooting vids, the car that we use is from the. Store.

It's in canon city, victory defense
    Quote Originally Posted by Split66 View Post
    I wouldnt listen to BCMjunkie. His brown camo clashes like hell with his surroundings. His surroundings are obviously pinkish and lacey and have big hooties.

Instagram Dangertastic
    Danger@Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/m41979/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabhailGadhar View Post
    Yep. It actually makes since if you think about it. 100 people or so milling around with a about 100 or so rounds a piece picking up brass after every string of fire. With probably ten coaches/instructors total to monitor. First time they're logged as a safety violator, second time they are booted from the range. The highest level you can achieve is a marksman after that regardless of how you shoot and in the Corps that directly effects promotion and retention. We do not play with dumb ****s and loaded weapons...
    Gotcha, you're talking about the standard rifle range. When I was a coach it was the same thing, especially with recruits.

I was worried they had carried that rule over to other ranges, which would be counterproductive in some ways, but wouldn't surprise me these days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast