Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle sweeps

People also need to remember to watch their backstop when sweeping their rifle. You may be sweeping your muzzle across a wall but is it a simple wall made of drywall? Is it concrete? What will the round in your weapon do if it impacts this surface? I see a lot of new shooters in gun stores sweeping walls thinking it's safe but on the other side is a room with 4-5 people inside it. Granted, it can be difficult to know what's behind your backstop but keeping the gun at high/low ready when applicable helps eliminate sweeping people.
    Chris Bowers
    Bowers Tactical
    http://www.bowerstactical.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
    Gotcha, you're talking about the standard rifle range. When I was a coach it was the same thing, especially with recruits.

I was worried they had carried that rule over to other ranges, which would be counterproductive in some ways, but wouldn't surprise me these days.
    Interesting,

We just had our students ground their weapons at the firing points when doing clean up.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    NO BRASS NO AMMO, DRILL SERGEANT!
    Man, some threads just take you back to the good ole days.
    " If i cannot be a good example Lord, let me be a terrible warning"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
    Really? Damn.
    I've seen enough negligent discharges (insert sexist, and accurate comment here) at every available MC range, it's the right policy, not just for recruits.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
    So I take a lot of new people shooting and make sure and go over the 4 rules. I also make it point to go over muzzle control and common mistakes that lead to pointing guns at people, reloads, malfunctions, etc. For a while it seemed like some people just didn't get it and no amount of correction would fix the muzzle sweeps. So I adopted a new rule from IDPA sweep yourself or some one else and your done for the day. This has made a huge difference.

Now here is the question. If you have your rifle slung and bend over to pick something up and the muzzle sweeps someone is it still a muzzle sweep? I have been treating it as one and even got called on doing it myself.
    So as of today I have heard from two different reputable trainers about AR-15's discharging because a primer fell loose and into the trigger assembly causing an AD. So I think the rifle in particular must not ever sweep anything you don't want to put a hole in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by G_M View Post
    So as of today I have heard from two different reputable trainers about AR-15's discharging because a primer fell loose and into the trigger assembly causing an AD. So I think the rifle in particular must not ever sweep anything you don't want to put a hole in.
    I'd like to hear more on how a popped primer caused a weapon to discharge?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by G_M View Post
    I was standing next to a gentleman when this same thing occurred in September of 2010.
    On a move and fire excersice, after about 8 rounds shot, the rifle would not fire, the individual ran the proper clearance/ malfunction procedure and still no go. With his trigger finger in 'register', he then brought the muzzle down to vertical and engaged the safety, at which time the rifle discharged.
    A spent primer was found in the fire control well upon disassembly.
    This was an unmodified Colt carbine, BTW.

Kind of a surprise occurrence,, but the shooter did maintain excellent muzzle control !
    Last edited by tdb59; 10-23-12 at 11:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    I've seen enough negligent discharges (insert sexist, and accurate comment here) at every available MC range, it's the right policy, not just for recruits.
    I suppose. I just don't think thats the solution. You mean to tell me a fighting force can't be trusted to safely handle a rifle? That's breaking training down to a level of the lowest common denominator, and that lowers the standards.

Is it more safe? I guess. I can't recall a time downrange where I was worried one of my own guys was flagging me on the stack, because I knew he was competent. If someone cant handle holding a rifle without it accidentally firing, they don't need to be there.

I saw more ND's in one week at the range than in any given year in the fleet, doing much more kinetic ranges. My opinion is that the level of fear and mystery that rifles are given by recruits at the range is what makes stupid shit happen.

Feedback Score
    If you sweep someone at a USPSA match or IPSC match in my area, they tell you to pack your gear and leave. That includes sweeping someone with a slung rifle when you bend over to pick something up.

I don't teach high speed operators, I teach LEO. When I help run in service classes, I teach people to grab the buttstock of the rifle to keep the muzzle out of the dirt and hold the rifle pointed muzzle down when picking up something off the deck. If we have a lot to pick up off the ground, we clear the rifles and secure them somewhere while we police the area.

I would hate to see someone get shot during training. The brass do not like it and it causes me extra paperwork.
    Last edited by 7 RING; 12-03-12 at 11:48.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle money bags View Post
    NO BRASS NO AMMO, DRILL SERGEANT!
    Man, some threads just take you back to the good ole days.
    thanks i just Flashed Back BRM good times indeed

NRA Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast