Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Muzzle sweeps

Feedback Score
    The primer in the FCG is a very interesting piece of info. Thanks to all who responded.
    Die living

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alvincullumyork View Post
    So I take a lot of new people shooting and make sure and go over the 4 rules. I also make it point to go over muzzle control and common mistakes that lead to pointing guns at people, reloads, malfunctions, etc. For a while it seemed like some people just didn't get it and no amount of correction would fix the muzzle sweeps. So I adopted a new rule from IDPA sweep yourself or some one else and your done for the day. This has made a huge difference.

Now here is the question. If you have your rifle slung and bend over to pick something up and the muzzle sweeps someone is it still a muzzle sweep? I have been treating it as one and even got called on doing it myself.
    It still counts, but in non range setting sometimes muzzle sweeps are inevitable, so I guess it depends on the environment, and how well you know the person, new shooters on square bay, there's no reason for it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I totally agree. A slung rifle muzzle sweep is still a muzzle sweep. In my last carbine class it was spelled out clearly as such. You are responsible of the direction of the muzzle, slung or not. You quickly learn to kneel properly to pick something up without sweeping someone. This is a good tactical lesson too. You need to learn the proper way to pick something off the ground and keep your head up looking around as well as keeping your weapon from sweeping your partners.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOW_0331 View Post
    I suppose. I just don't think thats the solution. You mean to tell me a fighting force can't be trusted to safely handle a rifle? That's breaking training down to a level of the lowest common denominator, and that lowers the standards.

Treating people with kid gloves,until they D.F.L. and are expected to be proactive,switched on thinkers and leaders was pretty much SOP for a lot of the people I witnessed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackknight View Post
    Treating people with kid gloves,until they D.F.L. and are expected to be proactive,switched on thinkers and leaders was pretty much SOP for a lot of the people I witnessed.
    D.F.L?
    Die living

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Sorry I was being a motard. depart friendly lines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123