Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rant

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxman7 View Post
    What I CANNOT stand is some new guy that no one knows posting insults to respected members or staff/mods. This is an increasing problem.
    I have seen this as well. It pisses me off too. It happened to one of the mods I REALLY respect here. I say boot em if they do it.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Extremely well put SeriousStudent.

-Jax

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CLJ94104 View Post
    I understand answering questions repeatedly is annoying but my point is that the disrespect shown for others is unnecessary.
    Please explain, in detail, what methods you use to diffuse this sort of thing when you see it.

I know what step 1 should be....what are your 2-xx .... steps to help this be a better community?

I'm listening to your complaints, hear them loud and clear, but we're in this together. Members who know what to do, how to act, and how to "mentor" people are an asset to any forum.

Responses like, "No need to be a dick...." aren't respectful and I would hope that we would all try to lead by example, in our words.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post

New members are most certainly welcome to join and participate, but if the entirety of your firearms knowledge and training comes from gun magazines, family members, and the local gunshop employee, you might want to take the time to read and get a feel of the site before jumping into a conversation.

Having a resource like M4, where thousands of members can discuss and share information, and have it all easily found, is incredibly valuable. It is what this site is best at, and is how we want to keep it. I say that not only as a moderator and industry professional, but also as a member that cares about the forum and the community.
    Well said and Agreed

Feedback Score

shitstorm not intended

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    This is not a rant or hate-filled response to the OP. But it's intended as a thought-provoking question.

Did you join the forum, or did the forum join you?

It's an established discussion board, that existed well before I arrived here years ago. I lurked for 2 years prior to even registering. It was a year after that before my first post.

There was a culture here before I arrived, and (hopefully) long after I depart. Part of me being a guest in this house, is that I go along with its culture.

As others have pointed out, there is this really spiffy Search button. Another one that comes in handy is the "Report Post" button. When you hit that, it goes to all the jolly folks that run this place. They ponder and decide what a suitable course of action will be.

Which may be nothing.

So I pretty much put on my big boy pants every time I come here.

Again, this is not meant to be mean, cruel, demeaning or vile. Imagine me pouring you a glass of really good Bourbon while saying this.

And believe me, I have some really, really good Bourbon.

The alternative is to wander off to TOS or some other place infested with things better off left unsaid.

I'm not a mod, not staff. I'm just a paying member that likes what I sees. Is it perfect? Nope. But I am not aware of a single person amongst the mods, staff, senior staff, or admin ranks that makes a nickel for the time they spend here cleaning up other people's messes.

Let me know if you want some more Bourbon, I'm a nice guy.
    I absolutely joined the forum and feel entitled to nothing but my opinion and due respect.

The quality of info on this site is unquestionably as good as it gets. This is why I am here. I have spent many years following this site and using the info to provoke my own thoughts and research so that I may develop my own opinions. Again, this site is the best for the needed info.
    Remember this was just a rant. I too happen to wear men's pants. While many may not agree with my op...but if given thought, I do not believe anyone could reply that the statements simply aren't true. And that is fine as well, because again this was simply a rant.

Unfortunately, I believe my bourbon days are behind me so I would not be familiar with which is good or bad, but I would gladly have a taste and give you my opinion of said bourbon. Enjoy and thanks for the not so 'mean, cruel, demeaning or vile' feedback.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I swear, I think for new members they should have to go through a tutorial on M4C etiquette before they can post so they know how to avoid pissing off members here.

People are too damn touchy about the search button. I understand answering questions repeatedly is annoying but my point is that the disrespect shown for others is unnecessary.
    A tutorial would be nice, or have a check box next to each rule before finalizing a new membership.

And its not just the search button, lately everyone is so thin-skinned and fast to throw insults. Granted there is no way to change someone who gets easily offended by what someone posts, but we all need to step back and respect each other.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ddnguyen9 View Post
    Yes, the OP could have used the search button. But people need to realize reading 10-20+ pages of replies hoping to find an answer isn't very efficient.

+1
    Sorry, but your definition of "inefficient" is my definition of lazy. You're saying that X member doesn't want to take the time to read twenty or whatever pages to find the answer he is looking for. He wants someone else to do the research for him. Where does that fly? Nowhere? In college, you do your own research. At work, you do your own research. And quite honestly, if he doesn't want to do the research, how important is the answer to him. It can't be that important, otherwise it would be worth the time spent. Searching/doing the research, not finding the answer then asking a question is one thing, not wanting to read through twenty pages is completely different.

I swear, I think for new members they should have to go through a tutorial on M4C etiquette before they can post so they know how to avoid pissing off members here.

People are too damn touchy about the search button. I understand answering questions repeatedly is annoying but my point is that the disrespect shown for others is unnecessary.
    With all due respect, if you took the time to read before you joined the forum, you would have known that the tone here is somewhat straight and to the point. I knew it before I joined and have said on other forums that the information here is excellent, but it's not the most PC place anywhere, in or out of cyberspace.

If you don't enjoy the general tone of the forum, there's no mandate that says you have to keep posting or even reading anything on this forum. There are forums that I don't particularly enjoy participating in because their general populations and I don't agree on a fundamental level. I don't complain about it, I simply stop going to those forums because I don't agree with the general tone of the membership. That's okay for me because I chose to be there, then I chose to not go there anymore. There are a lot of other places to go, like here, so I spend my time elsewhere.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    A tutorial would be nice, or have a check box next to each rule before finalizing a new membership.

And its not just the search button, lately everyone is so thin-skinned and fast to throw insults. Granted there is no way to change someone who gets easily offended by what someone posts, but we all need to step back and respect each other.
    It already exists, and is a pair of stickies.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=70019

(Ahem, I found post number 6 particularly insightful... )

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=1497

If people would read and follow those two threads, this one would not have taken place.

Feedback Score
    Not that I see it here too often, but its pretty common to see sites that encourage using the search function heavily also ridicule members for resurrecting old threads when they post to threads they find when they use it.

If its just to post a "that's cool" comment I can understand the rationale, but IMHO some people just seem to look for every opportunity to rip into someone else.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Many people think they are special snowflakes who deserve instantaneous responses to their inane, oft asked questions.

Here's the answers I learned the hard way:

-it's not cleaning, it's springs or not enough lube

-it's not cleaning, you need to learn how to shoot

-better to have 50 rds, one gun, and training under your belt than 2
    guns, 500 rds, and no training

-Glock 19, holster, mag carrier, mags, good sights, class

-good AR (S&W, Noveske, DD, BCM, Colt, LMT) light, sling, red dot
    (if you can afford it, get training first), mags, mag carrier. You don't
    need free float.

-training.

-listen to people, read a lot, post little. You are NOT a special
    snowflake.