Thread: Is this too close? (Dropwing)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Is this too close? (Dropwing)

I'm guessing this is a little too close to the muzzle brake but I don't want to find out at the range. What do you think? How much should I back it up in order to be safe?

For reference, this is what I am using. Haley Strategic/IWS Dropwing with 1" ring. This is on an 11" Troy Alpha rail w/ a 16" M4 barrel.

Last edited by PFran42; 10-11-12 at 00:09.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think functionally it's probably OK though likely to get some good carbon fouling that close to the muzzle break.

If it were me though I'd probably back it up a tad until it's even with or rear of the muzzle device.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah. I think that's fine if you don't mind the carbon build up. Mine is even closer. Haven't fired it in this set up yet but it is the best spot for my reaction hand no matter which shoulder I'm firing from...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    ATTENTION: What you just read may very well contain sarcasm! Judge me accordingly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2theXtreme View Post
    Yeah. I think that's fine if you don't mind the carbon build up. Mine is even closer. Haven't fired it in this set up yet but it is the best spot for my reaction hand no matter which shoulder I'm firing from...
    Well then, you need to fire yours and report back! No use in both of us ruining our weapon lighting systems...

On a serious note, I am getting a 13" Alpha in the mail today so I am going to have to re-configure the front-end all over again. I really like how my current setup reduces the the barrel shadow. It would pain me to have to move it back relative to the barrel.

Once I have the new tube mounted i'll post up showing lighting cast and shadows etc.

Thanks for the feedback thus far.
    Last edited by PFran42; 10-12-12 at 13:13.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Put Chapstick on the lens.
    Helps with the carbon build up.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Haha!!! I am 100% positive that if that is a quality light that it will be fine. I have no worries about that at all. The fowling is all I'm conceded with. I will definitely try the Chapstick thing!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    ATTENTION: What you just read may very well contain sarcasm! Judge me accordingly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Chapstick or Frog Lube both work well. Frog Lube does wonders to get carbon off the lens if you forgot to coat pre-shoot.
    Last edited by Slvr Surfr; 10-14-12 at 08:52.
    Life's a risk, enjoy the adventure - HOPLOETHOS

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PFran42 View Post
    I'm guessing this is a little too close to the muzzle brake but I don't want to find out at the range. What do you think? How much should I back it up in order to be safe?
    I have a Dropwing/Surefire Scout set up in the same position w/a Battlecomp 1.0 and had the same worries. After running that set-up during a Defensive Concepts NC/VSM carbine course, though, I had no issues except for a little bit of carbon build-up on the lens which easily wiped off.
    Last edited by William B.; 10-14-12 at 11:44.
    Owner/Instructor at Resolute Response