Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me understand COM-BLOC ammo... 7.62 & 5.45...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Help me understand COM-BLOC ammo... 7.62 & 5.45...

With the relative CHEAP com-bloc ammo out there now, I was think of getting some, along with a cheap AK-variant rifle to shoot it, so I can enjoy random plinking once again... without breaking the bank and shooting ammo I cannot replace.

That said, I am confused between the 7.62x39 and the 5.45x39 ammo. I thought the 5.45 was the latest, greatest Russian ammo and for awhile people were selling their kids to buy a case when a case couldn't be found, but now it seems like it is everywhere and people seem to be selling lots of it on EE... almost DUMPING it.

What gives? Is there a problem with this round? Does the bullet suck? Some have said it is BORING to shoot due to its light recoil...

I know the 7.62x39 is the "standard" AK round and I see lots of it too on sale everywhere...

For a fun gun (my AR's are for self-defense) and cheap shooting, which caliber should I focus on?

Which makers of the two calibers are known to be the BEST and most reliable (no kabooms)?

Thanks for the education I hope someone will give me...

Rmpl
    "Our destruction... will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence..."
    ...Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
    With the relative CHEAP com-bloc ammo out there now, I was think of getting some, along with a cheap AK-variant rifle to shoot it, so I can enjoy random plinking once again... without breaking the bank and shooting ammo I cannot replace.

That said, I am confused between the 7.62x39 and the 5.45x39 ammo. I thought the 5.45 was the latest, greatest Russian ammo and for awhile people were selling their kids to buy a case when a case couldn't be found, but now it seems like it is everywhere and people seem to be selling lots of it on EE... almost DUMPING it.

What gives? Is there a problem with this round? Does the bullet suck? Some have said it is BORING to shoot due to its light recoil...

I know the 7.62x39 is the "standard" AK round and I see lots of it too on sale everywhere...

For a fun gun (my AR's are for self-defense) and cheap shooting, which caliber should I focus on?

Which makers of the two calibers are known to be the BEST and most reliable (no kabooms)?

Thanks for the education I hope someone will give me...

Rmpl

Quick answer......end of the Cold War rang the death knell of the 5.45mm. I really, really like the round, but the there are very few countries that still field it; Russia, who won't get rid of it because of political and national considerations, Ukraine, Beylorus, and the poorer former republics of the old Soviet Union, and Romania, who can't afford to get rid of it.

Bulgaria, East Germany, Poland, and Romania were the Warsaw Pact countries that used the 5.45x39mm round besides Russia. East Germany was absorbed into Germany, Bulgaria and Poland joined NATO and were rich enough to make the caliber switch to 5.56mm, and while Romania is a junior member of NATO, they can't afford to make the switch just now.

The surplus you're seeing on the market is Russian stuff from the mid 1970's, probably from Bulgaria, Polish surplus, and Bulgarian manufactured surplus.

It's a flat shooting little cartridge that has less felt recoil than the 5.56mm round.

Hope that helps some.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

I suspect that the 5.45mm is headed down the same road as the 6.5mm Mannlicher-Carcano. The 6.5mm saw a similar birth in America, a flood of rifles and surplus ammunition that was available stupid cheap. After the surplus dried up it died. Sadly, the dedicated "dead" cartridge loaders probably won't keep the 5.45mm alive because it only comes in AK flavor. Once the cheap steel cased is gone that'll likely be that.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmanfms View Post
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

I suspect that the 5.45mm is headed down the same road as the 6.5mm Mannlicher-Carcano. The 6.5mm saw a similar birth in America, a flood of rifles and surplus ammunition that was available stupid cheap. After the surplus dried up it died. Sadly, the dedicated "dead" cartridge loaders probably won't keep the 5.45mm alive because it only comes in AK flavor. Once the cheap steel cased is gone that'll likely be that.

I dont' think it'll be that bad, as there was Russian commercial ammo available long before the surplus came in.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I see no reason to believe that 5.45 will ever be more $$$ than 7.62

Wolf makes both

Feedback Score
    it is about all corrosive correct?(5.45)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m700m View Post
    it is about all corrosive correct?(5.45)
    Surplus, yes, commercial, no.

Corrosive is NOT that big a deal, the AK was designed around corrosive ammo.

Feedback Score
    $300 WASR2 AK74
    $119 1080 rds of 5.45

Cheap!

Stack it deep like others have said, its a great round, shoots the same as shooting an AK in 5.56

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Where can you get an ak 74 that cheap? Cheapest I have ever seen them is about $570 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryP View Post
    $300 WASR2 AK74
    $119 1080 rds of 5.45

Cheap!

Stack it deep like others have said, its a great round, shoots the same as shooting an AK in 5.56

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Indeed, where are you seeing a $300 AK74???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast