Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: deer with 5.56 Hornady 55 gr VMAX

Feedback Score
    Wonder how they would work on deer. I just ordered 1000 to load up. Seems like they are good for small ga deer, at a very close range. Kinda messed up to hit on the run at 100+ yds. I was taught to never shoot the runners, unless I wanna hike for a while.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    There was blood all over the place with the bigger (first) deer, but not with the 2nd.

I have used 68 gr Hdy match and 77 gr Sierra match on deer without god results.

And of course the kids need more range time. They need years more experience. As for me, I pretty much retired from hunting except for guiding the kids.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    There was blood all over the place with the bigger (first) deer, but not with the 2nd.

And of course the kids need more range time. They need years more experience. As for me, I pretty much retired from hunting except for guiding the kids.
    Again, wrong bullet choices. HPBT bullets such as the Hornady 68 gr HPBT and Sierra 77 gr SMK HPBT are absolutely not designed for hunting. Low penetration, low weight retention, and very demanding on velocity to exhibit fragmentation necessary to do more than a hole punch in tissue.

Of course your kids need more range time. It's called not taking them hunting until you've learned better. Many of us around here hunt deer and it's frustrating to see someone going out blasting deer in the rump with varmint rounds only to try and defend it later on.

Oh and after you've put the deer out of its misery you plug it with handgun ammunition to see how it looks?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    Another poor bullet choice. Next time use a heavy SP.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    HPBT bullets such as the Hornady 68 gr HPBT and Sierra 77 gr SMK HPBT are absolutely not designed for hunting. Low penetration, low weight retention, and very demanding on velocity to exhibit fragmentation necessary to do more than a hole punch in tissue.
    My experience is that the 68 gr Hdy match is a very hard bullet that doesn't even open up on a deer when a broadside shot is presented. Penetration is all the way through.

The 77 grain Sierra performs similarly, going deep, but only opening a little, so the wound channel is narrow.

The 55 gr Hdy is a better killer than the 68 or 77 gr in my experience.

Oh and after you've put the deer out of its misery you plug it with handgun ammunition to see how it looks?
    Why do you object to that?

I have acquired some Speer 64 gr Gold Dot ammo to try out on an upcoming doe antelope hunt.

Last edited by 500grains; 10-19-12 at 11:30.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    64 gr Gold Dot is pretty good. I had bought a bunch as pulled components from an ATK reseller last year and I've liked them. Sadly I can't find anymore of them (was less than ten cents a bullet shipped).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123