Thread: Hunting with .338 Federal?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hunting with .338 Federal?

Does anyone here have any experience with the .338 Federal for hunting? Or know anyone who does?

I was always intrigued by this round and I just got a barrel for my LMT MWS for it. So once I get the replacement barrel scew in, I will see how she shoots. I would like to use it for deer hunting this year.

Also, any recommendations for 5 round mags for the .308/.338? Its a state restriction here.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't know anything about mag availability, but the round is a complete and total hammer. I have a friend that has killed moose and a brown bear with it and they were both one shot kills. It is suitable for any big game in North America.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I believe the standard factory load in the .338 Fed is 180 grains, which has low sectional density. So deep penetration should not be expected.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 500grains View Post
    I believe the standard factory load in the .338 Fed is 180 grains, which has low sectional density. So deep penetration should not be expected.
    The factory loadings range quite a bit. 220 grain seems to be standard as well as the 180.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I don't know anything about mag availability, but the round is a complete and total hammer. I have a friend that has killed moose and a brown bear with it and they were both one shot kills. It is suitable for any big game in North America.
    Thanks for the insight! There just doesn't seem to be a lot of first hand accounts on the internet of folks using this round for hunting.

I did get the barrel for the LMT and have put a few rounds through it. It is a very pleasant .338 to shoot unlike the others. Using the same scope that was on with the .308, impact is only slightly lower with the .338 Federal.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by High Tower View Post
    Thanks for the insight! There just doesn't seem to be a lot of first hand accounts on the internet of folks using this round for hunting.

I did get the barrel for the LMT and have put a few rounds through it. It is a very pleasant .338 to shoot unlike the others. Using the same scope that was on with the .308, impact is only slightly lower with the .338 Federal.
    Do you reload? I think its pretty cool you got the 338 barrel I cant wait to here more.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I haven't reloaded in a few years but I'm working on getting back into it. I will definitely be reloading for this one.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have some random 338 bullets no more than 10 or each Nosler BT and ACCUBONDS you want them? I will not use them.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse