Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Multi caliber BUG??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Okay. Now I get it (not enought coffee today, for sure). I was looking at my 340PD, trying to figure out how they made the moon clips work and automatically assumed it would be like the only 9mm revolver I had ever seen, a Ruger SP101 a friend got in some kind of set with a Ruger Auto he bought years back. That 9mm auto used, as I recall, two half moon clips. I always thought that loading the half moon clips, then loading the cylinder was a pain in the ass. (Re)loading moon clips from a magazine from a primary isn't anything anyone is really going to be doing in an emergency and under duress. I think one would be better served with a couple of Speedstrips in the original .357mag or .38spcl +Ps.

Feedback Score
    I believe there is a company who can convert the pistol to either the 38 or 9mm heck I think he can do 38 super also.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses and ideas. KMR it would be just for ammo purposes. I would not load moon clips from a mag. Just buying moon clips and carrying them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgus3836 View Post
    I believe there is a company who can convert the pistol to either the 38 or 9mm heck I think he can do 38 super also.
    Pinnacle-guns.com

Quote;That 9mm auto used, as I recall, two half moon clips. I always thought that loading the half moon clips....

That would be Speed/Security/Service-Six in 9mm (a revolver that came from the factory with 1/2 moon clips).

Feedback Score
    AFCATM,

Why not get one of the smaller 9mm semiauto's like the S&W Sheild, Walther PPS, Baretta Nano, Ruger LC9, Kel-Tec PF9 or Glock 26? All should meet your needs for a BUG and would cost just about as much as, if not less than, finding a S&W 940 or having a .38spc converted to 9mm.
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImBroke View Post
    What is your thinking on the advantage of having the 9mm backup to your main carry? I'm talking about in an actual situation where you would have to use it and the advantage of having the same caliber.

In other words, how would the 9mm revolver a better choice over the .38. When you will have to deal with the cost of the conversion and the finickiness of the required moonclips.
    The 9mm offers way better ballistics and far quicker reloads when compared to the .38. Down side is moon clips can get bent and extraction can be iffy with +p and +p+ loads.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    The 9mm offers way better ballistics and far quicker reloads when compared to the .38. Down side is moon clips can get bent and extraction can be iffy with +p and +p+ loads.
    Pat
    Yeah, I have a couple S&W J .38's that are factory cut for clips, and it isn't all it's cracked up to be. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12