Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi caliber BUG??

Feedback Score

Multi caliber BUG??

I am thinking of getting a 640 and sending it out to get (along with an extra cyliner assembly) for fitting of both and one to be rechambered to 9mm. This way I can change the caliber for the main gun I carry. I was just playing with this idea. I carry a glock 19 and a smith 19. So for me to have a caliber compatible BUG sounds good to me. I could later buy another J frame and leave it 9mm or I could get another 9mm semi later.

Just an idea I was messing around with. Anyone do or go through the same stuff as this?

Feedback Score
    What is your thinking on the advantage of having the 9mm backup to your main carry? I'm talking about in an actual situation where you would have to use it and the advantage of having the same caliber.

In other words, how would the 9mm revolver a better choice over the .38. When you will have to deal with the cost of the conversion and the finickiness of the required moonclips.

Feedback Score
    18 (95%)
    I'd just search for a used 940. Even with a new cylinder, the bore is still going to be sized for a .357" bullet vs. the .355" of the 9mm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911fan View Post
    I'd just search for a used 940. Even with a new cylinder, the bore is still going to be sized for a .357" bullet vs. the .355" of the 9mm.
    These 9mm conversions have a good record at TOS. No real issue with the .357 barrels. There are 9mm barrels out there ( I have a few in stock) but then your project starts to get pricey. Finding a 940 is a good suggestion ( and what I'm carrying now).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Do they use something akin to a half-moon clip?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Even with a new cylinder, the bore is still going to be sized for a .357" bullet vs. the .355" of the 9mm.
    You'd be surprised at how many 9mm guns out there have bores bigger than .355. My brother's Beretta 92/M9A1 has a factory barrel that slugs to .357
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    Do they use something akin to a half-moon clip?
    Yes, they use moon clips.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A three rd and a two rd? I guess you have to hope you have the right combination of moon clips in your hand, reloading under duress.

Feedback Score
    18 (95%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    A three rd and a two rd? I guess you have to hope you have the right combination of moon clips in your hand, reloading under duress.
    They use full moon clips. Atleast the 940 does.

Feedback Score
    They use full moon clips. Atleast the 940 does.
    Yep, 5 rd moonclips.

Here's one cut for moonclips and re-barrled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast